Why is my dog eating paper??

just the other day i witnessed my 3 year old pitbull eating paper off the floor!! She was sniffing around all crazy, huffing and stuff. She ate almost an entire check that i know of. I know that in the past she went without food for long periods of time and had to fight with the other dogs for what she could get. Is it possible she is having a panic attack??

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pets

• He may have worms
    Anonymous

• That would be my guess also. It could also be boredom.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It sounds more like boredom to me. There are some really strong nylabones made specifically for the larger dogs with strong jaws. We have a dog who will tear up paper all the time, but this is when she cant' find her nylabone or other hard rubber toy to chew on. There's also some big rope toys (for tug o war games as well with you) they love to chew on and rip apart.
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 2:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Don't let her get to the paper. lol. Exercise,exercise,.Power walks are a great way to let off steam! I have a big dog and small ones too, and if they don't get their power walks they try to destroy what ever they can. Fun filled activities ensure they are burning off the steam. Ours have a doggy pool they play in when weather is warm. If not available use back packs for them to carry in those walks. They will be tired and not have the need to tare your sunday paper up! Are you young enough to roller blade? That way you can keep up with them. Just some suggestions  to help pooch burn up steam..Hope you find the right answer that will help you.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yeah.. I would say boredom... My older dog does it too... I read that when you are away, they look for stuff that contains your scent.. they like to tear up paper though.. Mine shreds it in strips.. it's pretty comical.. I don't need my paper shredder, I just let him do it!! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008