Anyone else's child terrified of kitchen appliances?

My 3 yr old son freaked out last night when I started using the food processor. I did warn him before, but I don't think he got my warning. It's the same thing with the blender, mixer, vaccum cleaner..you get it anything loud.

I try to minimize how much I use these items.

Anyone else's child similar? Strategies to help them get used to it or deal with it?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL Maybe have them push the button so they can see they can have control over it?
    Anonymous

• Just anything that makes loud sounds
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My daughter freaks out at my food chopper or mixer. She instantly starts crying and freaking out!

Vacuum doesn't bother her. She tries to jump on it lol... But specifically kitchen items, yes. I think it's because the vacuum she is just used to, but the other ones I don't use particularly often, so she's caught off guard.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• He won't even come into a room if he thinks something loud is going to be used.

He is getting better with the vaccum cleaner...slowly

Usually runs to his room and closes the door, then hides... I feel so sorry for him.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh God, no. Quite the opposite. My son loves them. He's always reaching for them and wanting to touch them, lol. And he LOVES kitchen utensils. We recently went to a family Christmas get-together. My dad got some fancy measuring cup. My son was surrounded by new toys and he completely ignored them but carried that freakin' measuring cup around the entire time like it was the best thing he'd ever seen, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Does he happen to have tubes in his ears or anything?
    proudestmomma02

Answer by proudestmomma02 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• no tubes in his ears, perfect health, just really hates loud noises.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010