SIL left me with a laugh to say the least. kind of long, but felt the need to talk about it-

Long story short, since my niece was about 2 there's been lots of family drama with her mother having issues with me. (she's 7 now)
I've made a lot of posts over time, some thought that it was lovely that I take such a interest in my niece (now nieces) lives, others thought that I was stepping on Mommy's territory.

Our attending my niece's school functions was a big one.
Daddy said fine, no problem (they aren't divorced)
Mom tried to claim that she and Daddy didn't like the idea or whatever.
this went back and forth for the longest time.

Mommy tired to keep us away from school functions, but in the end it's been left that we go, but we just let them know we'll be there. why, I'm not sure, but we do so.
so for about 4 years there's been attempts too keep us away from recitals, like dance and such. Never sure why, but that was always considered unapproachable territory.
Now my husband has stepped up a bit more and expressed the desire to see these functions.

we got a email letting us know about her piano recital which we attending over the weekend. Brought my niece flowers, the whole bit. It worked out very well.

Now get this- as we were leaving my husband thanks my SIL for letting us attend, and she said
"oh sure! no problem at all!"

my husband kind of nudged me because he was afraid I was going to say something, I wasn't. But he did say my mouth dropped open..

I couldn't help it! years of trying to keep us from these things, and suddenly it's 'no problem!???'

well then, that's my SIL for you.
good luck trying to figure her out.

sorry it was so long, sometimes I just feel the need to express myself I suppose. :P

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• THats great for you.. and your niece. I have no idea why someone wouldn't want extended family at recitals and such.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If it's you who had thanked her, you might have gotten a different result. With family, you just have to accept them, good, bad, and the ugly. The only thing you can do is vent on a website like this, or to your own mom.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sounds like your SIL is a nut. maybe she finally came to her senses are realized she was making big deals out o nothing
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• A break through? Maybe. Maybe she actually realized how harsh she was being, and maybe her daughter helped her realize how important it was that she had family there for her. What ever it was, congratulations.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well, this just sounds like a big power struggle to me and a little girl is caught in the middle of it all.

However, I am glad if it is all working out with the sil now.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2010