How do I convince my daughter that she is not "in charge"?

I know I have created the monster, buy my three year old thinks she runs the show at our house. I have just recentl realized how demanding she is of me and that I have been following her demands without even realizing it. how do i get her to realize that she is the child and I am the adult?

jennifer9607

Asked by jennifer9607 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• stop doing everything she tells you to do
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Don't allow her to think she's in charge. Don't do what she tells you, and do require her to do as you ask. When she disobeys, enforce consequences. Have rules that she is required to follow. Don't give in to demands, rudeness, or temper tantrums.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i agree. just stop meeting her excessive demands and sooner or late she will get it or get over it.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You have to be consistent. Let her know when shes wrong and prasie her when shes right. You are the boss. not her. Time out..loss of toys.. whatever it may be. Just stick with your guns
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Jennifer, I think you really know the answer to that question without asking it of us. It's something only you can do, but I would highly suggest you start now or it's never going to work. You simply take back control. Let her know you will not tolerate her behavior. Let her know that you mean business, with consequences. You need to use whatever method of discipline you chose, but do it consistently. Don't let her get away with the bad behavior in your own home, the store, at grandma's whatever. You are the adult... now go run with it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• praise*
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Change the way you interact with her and do it in baby steps. Be consistent and let her know you are in charge. It can all be done lovingly and with care. Be prepared for some resistance and work through any tantrums. Make sure she gets praised when she does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Teach her how you want her to act.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Take it back! YOU are the parent. She's 3. Dont give in to her demands, make rules, and enforce them. But if you arent consistant, nothing will work.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• you are letting a 3 year old run your house,just look in the mirror to see who is the adult.Its time to say the ever popular NO and mean it.Stick to your guns ,if you do not prepare for a nightmare of teen years.I could give my kids a look even to this day and get the same answer What? did i do something? Funny its the same look I used to get.You possess the mommie powers,just use them.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010