When should teens have some type of idea of what they want to do after high school?

My 14 year old son has no idea of what he wants to do after school. His father and I have tried to get him interested in many different areas that we feel he would be good at but his response to these is always just a shoulder shrug. What age do kids get some kind of idea of what they want to be when they grow up and am I worrying about his lack of interest for no reason?

jennifer9607

Asked by jennifer9607 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When I graduated I still didn't know what I wanted to do. Give him time he'll find his way. You have 4 years so don't try to push him into something he may not like
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• They don't even make you get a major in college until your 3rd year bc young people sometimes have no clue until they get out in the world and experience life a bit and see what they find interesting. He's 14. He has no clue. See if the school offers an aptitude test and that might help guide him

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Many college students don't even know what they want to do, they just are in school doing general ed until they figure it out, and then they do upper division. If your daughter doesn't know it's normal. It's a tall order to ask a 14 year old what they want to do for the rest of their life, you see what I mean?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Let him decide when he is ready to decide. Most people don't know what they are going to major in until midway through a 4 year degree.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm 27, I finished school, went back to school, and I'm still not 100% on board with what I my choice... I can't imagine anyone at 14 really has a clue what they want to do for the rest of their lives, hell, at 14 they don't even know WHO they will be for the rest of their lives.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think teens are rushed into trying to figure it out. If my husband went to college right after high school, he would be in a career field that he hates. But now he's in one that he likes, and he has a degree. Age 14 is way too young.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I didn't figure it out til my very late 30's. My ds is a senior & will turn 18 in February. He has absolutely no clue whatsoever other than he wants to be financially secure at some point.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'll be 20 in March and I'm still not decided on my major for college- my cousin is 24 and changed her major after her first year of school. At 14 I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, except someday be out of my mother's house, paying my own bills. Don't put too much pressure on him- he's still a kid. He can't even get a job for at least 2 years (in most states) He'll figure it out for himself eventually.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i think just talking about going to college is a good idea right now for you to do with your son. your associates degree is mainly just basics anyways but you should also just basically start talking about different jobs and what they entail ......... nobody really knows what they want to do as a career at age 14
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• A lot of kids don't know even once they are in college. That's why so many have undeclared majors in the early years. Try to zero in on what his passions are. Don't ask him but watch and observe. Sometimes it's easy to see, sometimes not. My inlaws saw that one son loved chemistry and doing small experiments at home. They encouraged him to study chemical engineering. They saw that my husband loved to see how things worked and he was an amatuer radio buff. They encouraged him to study electrical engineering. Both boys studied what their parents suggested and had great carreers. Some times it is not so easy to guide them. But it is your task to help find out what really makes him interested and happy. Also , there are career placement inventories that kids can take towards the end of high school/ early college to zero in on what careers they might do well with. They are worth paying for (if there is a fee). GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2010