My 10 week old has odd sleeping habits...she'll sleep off and on all day for about 15-30 minute stretches and only for about 3 hours max at a time at night (if we're lucky). She actually totals about 13 hours a day and my pediatrician isn't worried, but I've read that most newborns sleep about 18 hours a day. Anyone else experience this and/or have any advice how to get her to sleep longer stretches??

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is totally normal for that small of a baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Each child is different. They find an average number b/c some sleep more some sleep less. If you're pediatrician isn't worried stop worrying. From the day my daughter was born she only slept 13 hours a day total. Now that shes ten months old she sleeps 10 hours a day.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• At what point does that start to improve in terms of her sleeping longer at night?
    hg216

Comment by hg216 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• best advise i can give is sleep when she sleeps! both my ds's ate very often, once an hour for the first 6 weeks, all day long... it was tough on me but its what they needed... she will grow out of it!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Try to keep the room dark where your baby sleeps and keep her in a light room when she is awake. This will help her to understand night and day, and when it is time to sleep and be awake.
    Mshellv1107

Answer by Mshellv1107 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would worry about her if she was overly fussy. If she is a happy baby, then I wouldn't worry about it. My 3 oldest kids didn't sleep much at all during the day, and I was worried. I have 14 week old, and she is the opposite. She will sleep several hours a day, and only wake up 2 times during the night. Going from 8 pm until 8-9 am. It is awesome, but makes me nervous. Your dd will round out eventually, and she just might be a baby that does not need much sleep.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• She should go for longer stretches during the night soon. It varies all over the place. You might try swaddling her if you don't do it already. Sometimes that helps. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010