Does anyone else have a teen around thirteen or around that age that fights with his or her younger brother and sisters?

My son has me fuming lately. He is thirteen years old, and fights and calls his sisters names all the time. They are twin girls that are eight. My daughters will yell back at him, so it end up turns in to a fight. I mean come on, shouldnt he know better. I am constantly yelling at him...and my blood pressure is probably through the roof. I have also tried talking to him, taking things aways, etc. I am now having to get mad at the girls and punishing them as well because they are starting to argue with him as well, even though I tell them to stop. Yea its a circus around here!

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• not me personally, but I've got a 29 year old baby brother that still doesn't act much better-
    good luck with that one!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh god you just recited my life! My 13 yr old same thing with his sis11 and brother 9. I have tried evrythng. I would luv to know how to handle this. I sat here tonight thinking how the movies always depict loving siblings helping one another up the slide and there are mine fighting!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• not personally but my cousins were always fightiing
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• A couple of ideas.......my niece has a kindness chart in her home. The kids have to do the things on the chart and they get points for doing them. After a week or so they get a day out to the park, go out for ice cream, have a special meal, go to a museum, etc. It has worked wonders for them.

Also, I saw on Supernanny that she had the whole family play board games and do it in teams. Alternate the teams so your son is a team mate with the girls once in awhile. This will foster cooperation.

Lastly, make sure they all get enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when they do things right. This, along with positive reinforcement, goes a long way to making them feel special and lessen tensions. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010