IS nipple stimulation Effective?

Is this effective and safe?

iluvmybaes2

Asked by iluvmybaes2 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I LOVE NIPPLE STIMULATION :)
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No, it's not safe, if you are referring to using it to induce labor. It is uncomfortable, and can cause very hard contractions that cut off oxygen and blood supply to your baby. And the contractions themselves aren't the kind that dialate the cervix anyway.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• for me it wasnt ... like they say when the baby is ready to come it will come... but when i was pregnant with my first child i was tired of being pregnant i was a week from my due date and i started dancing for like 10 min straight as soon as i layed down my water broke!!
    Traycibaby

Answer by Traycibaby at 10:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• NO it is not effective-- if labor has began it can increase its intensity but it will not start labor

it is not dangerous either --
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes, nipple stimulation to induce is potentially dangerous. Do some research.
    It can cause women to have contractions that last as long as 10 minutes or more.
    Anonymous

• I can be effective and it can be safe.
    It doesn't mean that it always *will* be effective/safe.

Avoiding adding unnecessary risks is safer.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• One thing to consider if using this as a method of stimulating labor is that it has to be continuous, as in, you have to keep it up the whole time. If you stop, then labor will slow down. It can be pretty effective, if done consistently, but I would find it so aggravating, I couldn't imagine!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i always say when baby is ready, baby will come!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 11:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010