What do I do?? adult content

Okay, so my LO is allergic to cow's milk and tomatoes (we had to see the doctor every day for 2 weeks to be sure of this diagnosis) so I have eliminated those from my diet and have continued to nurse her. Well, the doctor is now concerned that my LO might not be getting the iron she needs since my levels are dropping and has asked me to try her on a special formula made for babies with cow's milk allergies. Well, the baby did good with the first bottle, but she has steadily increased her refusal of the formula. It's gotten so bad that when I leave her at daycare she'll go the entire time (which can be up to 4 hours) without taking the bottle. I'm at my wits end, and so is the daycare. I've tried pumping, but I can only produce enough to satisfy her, even when I took suppliments to help increase my supply and pumped every hour.
If I can't get her to take the formula (which I tasted to see why she didn't want it and it tasted bitter, I tried adding some syrup, no good, added a little sugar, no good, it was still bitter) and I can't pump enough to give the daycare a bottle for her, and I can't quit school unless I have to money to pay my loans back (which I don't) then what can I do?? Is there any other formula's out there? I've never even heard of this brand of formula before. I don't know what to do!

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 10:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't understand how the removal of tomatoes and cow's milk from your diet are related to possible low iron in your baby. Neither is high in iron in the first place. Talk to the doctor, tell them that your child is breastfed, will not take formula, and if they're really concerned about iron, recommend another source to get it (someone already mentioned iron drops). There are other ways and going the drastic route of switching a breastfed baby to formula is ridiculous.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My dr. told me to give my dd iron drops. Have you tried that?
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• What did your pediatrician say? Have you tried Gentle ease?
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• There are tons of formulas for babies with milk allergies, talk to your doctor and see if he can suggest another brand. Some are soy based and others are simply lactose free. Other than that the only suggestion I have is if you have time between classes maybe go breastfeed her? I don't know if you have time or if the daycare is close enough, but it's an idea.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• try pro sobee by enfamil
    Traycibaby

Answer by Traycibaby at 10:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Go to a LLL meeting- they are pro's at this and there is NOTHING better you can do for your baby then give her breast milk
    and student loans HAVE A BREASTFEEDING CLAUSE in them for upto 24 months so take care of your baby FIRST
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You might have to ease her into formula by mixing it with the breast milk and gradually mixing in more formula and less breast milk. Stress decreases supply, so all the worry isn't helping the supply issue. I know its pretty much impossible, but try not to worry too much! She won't starve herself. If she's continually getting less from you she will eventually take a bottle. If she is at least 4 months you might be able to give her a little watered down juice in a bottle while at daycare just to get a little something in her tummy. Instead of getting a weird iron formula for her that she won't take, find a formula she will take (they are all fortified with iron, so that shouldn't be too big of a concern) and if she still needs extra iron, try a bit of Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron in the formula. Again, start by mixing just a tiny bit in and working up to the full dose. If she spits up the vitamin formula it does stain!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• thanks you guys, I tired posting this in the breastfeeding group i'm in and like, no one responded at all. I figured I'd get some type of resonse if I posted it on here. I'm trying to not let this stress me out, but the daycare has already called CPS on me saying that i wasn't providing for my baby because of the whole formula issue. I had to explain to a woman who has never had kids and knew nothing about breastfeeding that pumping was near impossible and I wasn't doing anything to prevent her from taking the formula. At home I try to get her to take it at least once a day, but she refuses. I'll even skip the feeding, pumping the milk instead, in an effort to get her to take the formula and it's a no go. I wind up giving her the pumped milk, after 4 hours of her crying for the breast, and even after that she wants to nurse! I feel like such a failure that I can't get her to take a formula her doctor wants her to take.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would try the breastfeeding group again. You may not have gotten a response right away because people are busy with the holidays right now.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• stupid doctor.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010