HELP

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get my 3 yr old potty trained at night. She is already potty trained during the day but when I put underwear on her at night and even wake her up at night to go to the bathroom it never fails she always wakes up wet.

CassySchenk

Asked by CassySchenk at 10:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you have a cut off time for her drinking? If not, consider that. It may take longer to night train.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with Christine. Stop all drinking at about 1 hour or 2 hours before bed time. But I always gave my boys a sip of water before bed to wet their whistle. lol
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Keep the child's bedroom floor clear of toys at night to allow her to get safely to the bathroom.
    Provide night lights or leave lights on where necessary so children can see what they are doing.
    Make sure there is toilet paper on the roll.
    Make sure that the toilet seat is in the down position to ensure that the child doesn't "fall in."
    After a few days or weeks of waking up children, parents should get a feel for when children are ready to try for a dry night without any help from them. If parents want to provide sticker charts or other incentives for staying dry they may, but usually parental praise is enough to motivate small children to keep trying.

....and be patient! Real patient!

cookingwdenay

Answer by cookingwdenay at 11:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Maybe use incentives and rewards for nights she does make it to the bathroom after following all the other suggestions as well. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. She is still pretty young. It will come with time.
    1bizzymommy

Answer by 1bizzymommy at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Does she realize that she can get up to go to the bathroom at night? I had this issue with my son. Just remind her when you put her to bed that if she feels the need to go to the bathroom at night that she can get up and go to the bathroom. Also, cut down on her liquid intake before she goes to bed.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• limit drinks maybe towards bed time?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It varies all over the place when a child's body is mature enough to not wet at night. Some kids can go to age 8, 10, 12. It is a matter of body maturity and can not be forced. One of my granddaughters just got out of pullups at age 8 and the other is dry every third night or so, age 6.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2010