How to get my toddler to stop throwing food?

My daughter never used to throw food. We babysat a neighbor boy who threw his food and all of a sudden it's the coolest. I've tried to take all of her food away when she starts throwing it but then she just started throwing her food when it was veggies and stuff knowing I will just take it away. (Doesn't work) I always make her pick everything up, and she doesn't like to but it still doesn't do the trick. Lately if she throws her things on the floor I make her sit for a few minutes without anything to do because she hates it. Then make her clean it up. Right now she is screaming because I am not picking her up. HELP ME!!!!

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 10:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD throws food for a reaction. At first, she wanted to know what would happen. Now she does it to try and get our attention. As soon as she is done eating, we take her tray and let her out. We don't have her sit there. If she starts acting up, we let her out. Immediately.

Sooner or later your kid will see that it's not appropriate and stop doing it. But then again, don't feed into it. Chances are they want to see a reaction out of you. Don't let it irritate you. Just handle the situation, and be done with it.

It seems like you're feeding into this behavior, and that is why she's continuing to do it. =/ Either that, or she's sitting there in her chair too long and bored.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I completely disagree.. Feeding into it would be screaming back at her... Keep reinforcing yourself and do not give in! You have to remain calm but she needs to understand that there are consequences when she deliberately disobeys you. Do not hold her simply to not hear her cry any more. Maybe she needs time out in a secluded area. Let her scream until she can't possibly scream anymore, eventually she will realize it does absolutely no good. But at the same time you need to reward her when she does well at the table to let her know that good behavior does not go unnoticed.
    MommaHerring

Answer by MommaHerring at 10:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Let her know that she will have to eat what she throws on the floor and pretend like she will have to, but of course your not. They like to watch stuff fall. It is just a phase but you will correct her when she does it. Consistency. Good luck.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• By feeding into it... I also meant coming off as irritated. I get that it's annoying and that it's not behavior you want to condone, but the best thing to do is really act completely normal with this.

I am not saying she isn't reinforcing herself, but kids pick up tones and moods...
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My toddlers only pushed the food off the plate when they didn't like what was put before them or when they were full and weren't going to eat anymore.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2010