what could this be? 6 year old getting sick if not getting constant water

My sisters son is 6. He has had an on-going problem where if he doesn't get enough water during the day - basically if he isn't drinking water constantly he becomes very sick to the point of puking. If he runs around for more than 5 min (just normal playing running around) he get very red in the face, has a horrible cough and risks puking.
Today he was visiting with friends and didn't get enough water because of it. Tonight he ran a fever so high my sister thought he would have to take him to the ER. He then puked 4 times and a little while after that (once he had drank a bunch of water) his fever broke and now he is ok again.
He has already been tested for diabetes as that is what the doctors thought it was, now they are giving my sister the run around.
Has anyone else had anything similar to this happen to their children or know what could be the cause of this?

thanks

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 10:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• SIADH-- take him to a endocrinologist
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• UGH when I think about it more and re read what you wrote-- I retract my SIADH and think Diabetes incipidous (this is not regular diabetes it is different-- it has nothing to do with blood sugars) but youd still seean endocrinologist
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• trying to remember my anatomy but in the brain there is the pituitary gland are diff functions for the anterior n posterior one i believe is the thirst center it is what tells u when u are thirsty or when ur not or have had enoughi am pretty rusty but do some looking into it somethin seems up with the messages his body is getting from his brain making him need to drink i have heard cases where they actually get sick if there body doesn't get the water because the brain keeps saying no u didn't drink anything more more more water idk just a long shot sorry couldn't help more i can understand the doctors thinkingit may be diabetic one main symptom is excessive thirst also i am half asleep so but hope it helps
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 10:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• get a second opinion
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That is scary, I have no idea, but wish you all luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Low iron levels? My son was constantly thirsty. Like you we thought diabetes. We had his iron checked do to RLS & it was low. Since he's been on an iron supplement, he hasn't "needed" to drink as much.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wow, I'd take him to the Dr. Asap.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2010