why do American women make such a big deal about cheating/infidelity?

I read a book called "Lust in Translation", anyone else heard of this book? Very interesting.....
It's about how women in other cultures view and respond to infidelity. According to the book, American women made the biggest deal, some to the point of ending their marriage.

Just curious why this is....

mittensoup

Asked by mittensoup at 10:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• are you serious? if my dh cheated on me he'd be out the door, same as if i did it to him....a marriage without trust and fidelity is pointless
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My husband has cheated on me in the past and we were able to move on but if it were to happen again I would end my marriage. I don't want to be with someone that is not as willing as I am just to be with each other and it hurts when you find out your husband has been unfaithful.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Because we expect equality, loyalty, and honesty?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It is because we do not like it?
    Who would?
    And here we have more freedom to express our feelings, thoughts, and ideas. Which means we won't get killed over it.
    I would also guess most women in other countries were probably lying!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Probably because Americans view marriage like it was biblically intended. And we expect our spouse to honor their vows. You cheat and I'm out. You broke ur vows and I can't trust u. And without trust a marriage can't last. My hubby feels the same way.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I personally enjoy the close friendship I have with my husband. It's the one thing I have that isn't accessible to everyone else.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm really not sure. I'd say that Hollywood has a lot to do with it, though (like like Hollywood has a lot to do with women's fear of birth). I don't see why making a mistake should mean the end of a marriage (but, I think that polygamy should be legal). When you really get down to it, though, everyone has their own opinion and their own feelings.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I dated this guy many years ago prior to being married and having children, he was from another country. He would just boast about how natural it is. If you feel it then you should do it. Not a big deal he said, it happens....Its very free to go with your emotions..its very natural. Americans do not know what freedom is he would say. He cheated on me with my neighbor and expected me not to notice. Sorry I take more pride in myself than to take it so lightly.
    Anonymous

• – collapse
    FOR BETTER OR WORSE!....im sorry but when you marry someone you arent suposed to get divorced alll these damn people geting marrieed and then there spouse cheats and they leave...thats not how it works.....im not married but have been with my man for ten years! we have had are hard times but got through it and we plan to marry and we know it will be for life becasue no matter what happens im not going anywehre thats what marriage is! so think before you tie the dang not!
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• because it IS a big deal
    that's why
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010