Do you ever get sick of

hearing your child talk or am I just a really bad mother? He talks ALLLLLLLLLLL the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do we have the same DS? my son is a big talker(but I am grateful for it too I was painfully shy growing up) also and imo NO it doesn't make us bad moms we all need quiet time to clear our heads hope you get yours soon.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My first was speech delayed. He and his younger sister learned to talk around the same time. You can only image the chattering. My 3rd said his first word at 9 months and hasn't stopped; he'll be 6 next month. I have to admit that I am guilty of asking him to keep the words in his head, on occasion. Doesn't work, but it makes me feel better
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Mine talks ALOT too- not so much to other people, he seems to save all his conversation for me!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I taught school for many, many years and I am now in the autumn of my life. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with him talking all the time, it will pass. For now however, just make sure you pay attention, out of the mouths of babes come some real insight, just when you think there is none. He wants attention and this is his way of getting it. Just think, if he were quite, where would your focus be? On him? Probably not. You might want to have him use all that energy to create some interesting stories and record them on a cassette recorder, you can pick one up for about $20.

I had my students do this on those Friday afternoons, when a book or art project would not hold things together. Hold on to the cassettes and when he is around 12-13 play them back, then again when he is 16 and then 25. These are priceless times, just grit and bear it, and hope he always wants to talk.
    cookingwdenay

Answer by cookingwdenay at 11:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Mine do talk a lot, but I just try to remember that I am their best friend and I have to teach them that their words are valuable so I try to listen. Turns out, they come up with some funny stories!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sometimes it seems the only time they are quiet is when they sleep, between the chattering and the general noises like animal noises etc but they just want to be paid attention to and interacted with. I remind myself if Im getitng frustrated that I will miss these times when they are teenagers or move out.
    aubrianasangel

Answer by aubrianasangel at 12:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• teah i get tired of it all the time.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son asks question after question after question. Sometimes, I have to tune him out for a minute or so, or I would literally go insane.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes. If my son is awake, he is talking.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my 10 year old daughter is like this. She talks to me all the time when i drive or when i am grocery shopping. I hate it when she wants to talk when we are grocery shopping, i can never hear myself think! It makes shoppping gooo on forever!!! and I cannot think! In the car, I pass up my turns and forget where it is we are going! UGH! Duck tape please!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2010