Fire Place VS Central Heating

Do you use your fire place as long as you can before you turn on your heat?

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No once we got the central heat and air installed it was way more cost efficient to use it then buy the wood.
    aubrianasangel

Answer by aubrianasangel at 12:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We have very strict regulations in this state and county for Burn Days. So we rarely have fires except like now when it has been raining for days on end.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 10:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We only have our heat pump. DH's grandmother has a wood burning stove as her source for heat and I am so jealous. When I first met him I had never known anybody to not have a heat pump or furnace. Now that I have experienced the wood burning stove I would LOVE to have one. She had 2 sons, a son in law and a grandson very close to her and they chop wood for her year around so she never worries about having enough wood.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We have a wood burning stove and an electric fireplace (not the little Amish one, this one tosses 15000 btus) ~ I love the wood burning stove. I keep a pot of water on it like my Grandma did and never have the dry air problems that a lot of people do. I do the same thing with a pot of beans, soup, it's great for cottage cheese/yogurt making, etc. You can't do that with central air! The extra little bit of work is worth it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We don't have a fireplace :-( ....We did, but somebody bricked them up years before we moved in here. Instead we have a boiler & baseboard heating system, which I hate.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I HAVE CENTRAL HEAT AND AIR INSTALLED
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We have central air/heat and use our fireplace all winter. We just lower the heat when using the fireplace.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010