I have a 21 month old boy that has hit the terrible two's. Temper tantrums are out of control. Have tried the scream out method but it is not working, any suggestions?

tantrumboy

Asked by tantrumboy at 11:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• next time he has his fits walk away he lives on you watching what he does and he knows you will pick him up
    you can also put him back in bed tell him if he screams he goes back to bed till he feels better and mom it does work 5kids later
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The happiest toddler on the block helped me understand why they are that way. They test boundaries but mostly they are really frustrated by their inability to communicate to you. You have to validate the good things they do and when they are mad, tell them you understand that they are MAD, SAD, FRUSTRATED. Giving them words to use and showing you get what they are saying.
    Anonymous

• agreed with giving them the words. NEVER give in. If they are crying because you didn't give them a cookie DONT give them a cookie. It is easy at the time but they will remember that that is how they get their way. Be calm and say I know you are sad or are you sad? I don't do time outs but if my daughter is acting that way where she is just freaking out I ask her if she wants a breather and she usually does because she knows she is being mean. She goes in her room and either continues freaking out or plays or just realizes that she could just come out being nice and play with mom again. I am on the fence about ignoring them when they act out. It doesn't really show them how they should be behaving. And if they are really upset and you are just ignoring it they may end up being even sadder!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Walk away and ignore it. Do not try to talk to him, do not respond, just leave the room. Do not give him what he is asking for, even after he stops the fit.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm not familiar with the "scream out" method and I raised 4 children who are now adults. Do you mean just letting him run his course screaming without you doing anything? If that doesn't work, try putting him in time out. But, be prepared, that you will probably have to put him back in his time-out chair or place numerous times before he gives in and stays there. He won't understand right away what you are doing, but as long as you stick with it, he should catch on. If that doesn't work, I really don't believe in spanking unless it is absolutely necessary, but every child is different. Maybe a good spanking on his butt will help.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2010