Fish Tank

Does anyone have a fish tank? We are looking at getting some fish. But, I want some that need little to no care just feeding every once and a while :) We have a 20 gallon tank, what do you suggest I get. In a PIOG, someone told me NOT to get fish from Wal-Mart. Should I just go to a store like Pet Smart? or Petco?

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Bettas, corridoras, goldfish, and tetras are all easy to care for, and I have heard the same about Walmart fish. I would go to Petco or something. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• As far as I know you feed fish everyday. It only takes like 3 seconds to feed fish. If that is to hard to do then maybe you shouldn't get fish.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I just baught some gold fish there are several different kinds, I didn't know that until I went shopping. But they are pretty easy to me just a pinch a day of gold fish food and clean tank once a month and they are good. I decided on goldfish they are cheap and didn't want to get anything expensive just in case my kids try to get to the fish. I would go with petco.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I buy my fish at the local small town pet store. They are usually on sale and buy one get one free. Community fish like blood fins, tetras, fake silver dollars, bleeding hearts, plecos, ghost shrimp, and zebra danios are good. Fish tanks are easy. My trick is to get a filter that is made for a 60 gallon tank, not 20 gallon.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• PetSmart or Petco are great choices, or if you have a small specialized pet store near you. Some offer guarantees on their live pets.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Look for your local independent fish store. The people who have LFS usually are devoted to aquarium keeping and are better equipped to answer questions you may have about the hobby. As to purchasing fish, where ever you get them, you want to check the fish and tank out first. You got to look for healthy fish in the tank, not just the only healthy fish in the tank.

For a 20 gal, little to no fish maintenance, beyond the 20% weekly water changes and feeding, how about a have dozen neon tetras and a beta.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:02 AM on Dec. 28, 2010