How can I explain to my daughter (who is three) that her dog got ran over and might not live through the night??

Allie_220

Asked by Allie_220 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Tell her he is going to live with it's Mom and Dad beause he misses them. It is what I told my DD about her fish when she was five.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I did tell my son the same thing abiut her cat. mommy and daddy were sad and couldn't stop crying and so was kitty. My son s dog got hit and he was year older and i tild him he went to be with jesus so he could be a helper for other animals and kids!
    Anonymous

• I just told them that the dog is sick and may die. Dead is when you go to a happier place where we cannot see the pet, but we can still love the pet. I told my kids the truth and now they are 6 and 8. They respect death in humans and animals.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Gosh at 3, what a hard thing to have to deal with. I would probably tell her that your dog is sick and might go to doggy heaven. Gosh I'll be hoping for the best that your dog makes it and you dont have to break this awful news. GOOD LUCK!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• There are very few instances in which I chose to lie to my child and this situation is not one of those instances. At 3 a child's understanding of death is very limited. My daughter was introduced the concept at a very young age. We would talk about the dead critters we would see or dead insects. If something were to happen to the cat, I would explain to my daughter that he got sick or hurt (whatever happens to be true) and will probably die. I would answer any questions she had the best I could and comfort her if she becomes distressed. I don't believe in an afterlife so I would tell her that the cat is no longer in pain but any time she misses him, she can think and talk about the cat and we can talk about it together.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Tell her the truth. Explain simply that the injuries might not be the kind that can get better. Talk to her as much as she needs to during this time and afterwards if the dog does die. Do something to help remember the dog like planting a flower or having a special picture framed, etc. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i agree with first reply
    meandmyboys2000

Answer by meandmyboys2000 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Just tell her the truth...it'll do her the best in the long run as she will be exposed to death again in the future. If worded right, it could be a lesson to her about traffic and holding mummy's hand and looking both ways before crossing the road too. Make sure she knows she can ask you questions, and that its okay to be sad and to love the dog, but he's gone now and is resting forever. (or something like that!) lol
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You say, I'm sorry that mommy and daddy didn't pay attention to the dog and it got hit by a car. It might not live and until we are more responsible with living things, we won't get another pet.
    Don't tell your child that the dog is going to live with mom and dad, that is about the stupidest thing I've read on here.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't say anything. I would leave it be and if the dog passes during the night. Give her a "Heaven" talk in the morning and the dog, a funeral.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 12:55 AM on Dec. 24, 2010