charlie horses ahhhh!

ever since i became prgo ive been getting charlie horses really bad does anyone know how to get it to stop and why i get them to begin with????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Just another joy of pregnancy. I believe it's an enzyme thing, some people get it way worse than others.

Make sure you FLEX your foot, never point! I'm a toe-pointer and this made them unbelievably worse, and sometimes even CAUSED them. If you can have someone massage it away, that's a great way to cope! I believe water is supposed to help as well, so grab some Dasani!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It can be caused by a multitude of things, but the first initial attempt should be to eat foods rich with potassium; as most believe it is a deficiency there. I have been the victim of these big meanies and the only thing that made them go away and never come back was a banana every morning. I have heard others having them and it was actually caused by another deficiency, or a blood/circulation issue to the muscle. I would try with step one, and if it continues to plague you, speak to your OB and ask what other options are there to rid yourself of them. GL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 3:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Dehydration can also cause them, so make sure you're drinking lots of water. Bananas really did help me, along with my prenatals. And like a pp said, bring your foot UP instead of pointing it down!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 3:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I had those allot while I was pregnant also. I work at Starbucks and one thing that really helped when I had them was to drink one of the drinks called Vivanno. They have orange mango banana or chocolate banana. It helped allot because of the banana, vitamins from the milk, and the protein powder. GOOD LUCK!
    starbucks_mama

Answer by starbucks_mama at 3:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Try eating bananas. Usually cramping in the legs is a sign of low potassium. Give it a try, it may help.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My mom told me to drink more water and stop eating salt and start eating bananas and take my viatimins everyday! Keep your legs and feet warm at night and don't let the air hit them. I have them now and I am a grandma. They hurt too bad! A fan or cold air trigger mine.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 4:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Charlie horses?!!!...i didn't know they were called this...by the responses you must be talking about leg cramps??? If that is the case, bananas every morning and lots of water during the day and resting your legs. I had them really often with my first baby, this time around i had only but a few very mild ones. my trick to make them go away if they do come up is to immediately stand up and put my weight on the leg/foot that is having it. It works!

Loba

Answer by Loba at 4:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• They say to drink more water! and to walk and they might get better.I have been getting them too and that is what I do and I don't wake up with them anymore, Just back pain
    Beccah2

Answer by Beccah2 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• "Make sure you FLEX your foot, never point! I'm a toe-pointer and this made them unbelievably worse, and sometimes even CAUSED them."

Yes, I agree with KatieCrandall on this one! I used to always straighten my leg and point, not realizing that this only made it worse. Somewhere I read or heard to flex. It really does work!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2008