Would you let your child go on a study abroad program?

Would age matter or the child's sex?

What would have to happen for you to be comfortable? And is there anywhere you would not let your child go?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have sent my older dds abroad with exchange programs several times. My oldest went to England and Scotland when she was 11 for 3 weeks and to China when she was 13 for 3 weeks in fact she spent her 13th birthday on the great wall of China. My second DD spent the summer that she was 12 in England and France. Now my oldest is getting ready for an immersion program where she will be spending the last half of her sophomore year in France. And her host family is sending their DD here for the first half of the school year next year.
    They come back with a new prespective on so many things. I can't wait to send my younger children
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would love for my kids to have that experience. My parents couldn't afford it, but I would have LOVED to have done it! I think more important than age or gender is maturity level. Each kid is different. 16 isn't the same across the board, ya know? I think if the kid is mature enough, sure. I don't think I'd limit where they could go. I think there's something to be learned from living in any culture, even if I don't agree with a lot of it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I dont know, I'll let you know when my kids are up there in age. I want to say yes but it all depends on how responsible they're. It would be a great opportunity for sure.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I say yes!!!!!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My kids were not interested in those programs but I would have let them go. I have several nieces and nephews who did them. Do tons of research and get reviews of each program. Some are better than others. Talk to students who have gone and read all you can about them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010