How do I get a 19 month old to stop with tantrums

My 19 month old son is good for the most part. But there are some times when he will pitch a fit and scream at the top of his lungs. I have never given in and given him whatever it was he has screamed for. I've tried time outs, but he still does it. I've even tried smacking his bottom and all i got was a laugh from him. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, but I know something needs to happen to make it stop. I'm a single mom that works and wonder if part of it is because i'm not home all the time now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SilverRose1143

Asked by SilverRose1143 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the same issue and it was so bad I had to have some to watch her just to go to the store and I went to first 5 they will coach you depending on your son's character with my daughter what worked was the active ignore in that situation what that is, is to avoid eye contact and turn your back at him and in a firm but calm tone tell them when you are ready to calm down ill pay attention to you, she will try to go around to look for eye contact but i just keep turning my back on her until she did what I ask her, and then when she did I praise her for doing so and it is really hard because you want to do something or say be quiet or behave! but believe me I stick to it and now I am even able to go anywhere and when I see she is about to do it in public I just have to remind her do you want to be ignored? and she calms quickly and even says Im sorry mommy! also praise the good behavior and you will see more of it.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son is 22 months. I haven't figured it out yet.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son stopped his tantrums once I started ignoring them. Make sure you are spending enough one on one time with him. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010