Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Any advice for a recently seperated single mom heading down the road to divorce?

My husband and I seperated a couple months ago and we have two children together. When we split he went back to his home province and left me here with our kids. I want a divorce and full custody of our children but I'm not sure where to begin. I reside in British Columbia, Canada and he now resides in Alberta, Canada.

Answer Question

Asked by rainchild1 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (9 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Look into the divorce laws in your state because in some states the one who files first is the one that has the upper hand and lawyer up if you don't have the money for it you can ask if your family court if there is waivers of if he could end up paying for your lawyer too since he left his kids and doesnt seem to care about their well been.

    Answer by gou18 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Thank you for your help...guess I should ad that I am in Canada.

    Comment by rainchild1 (original poster) at 2:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Concentrate in the well being of yourself and your children. It is OK to be selfish in that sense. Be realistic about how much you can do by yourself and ask for help when needed. Allow yourself time to think if divorce is the best you can do. Consult with people you entrust and know they are able to listen to you. Educate yourself about every step of the divorce process. If there is a custody fight involved in your divorce process you will have to proceed with much more caution. Do not make hasty desicions regarding work and childcare arrangements without thinking about the effect they may have in the final recommendations. Hire a lawyer.

    Answer by kazucog at 3:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I am in the same situation pretty much after 20 years, house, 2 kids. He went 1000 miles away. The best for you is to do right by your children. In my situation everyone was so unhappy and now we are sad but not walking on eggshells. Here in the US there is legal aid and that is how I am getting a divorce. Good luck. I feel for you.

    Answer by mollgirl at 4:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Call some lawyers and ask if they provide a complimentary first time consultation. Also, here in the states, each state has a bar association. At the state's bar association website we can search for pro bono (free) legal advice. Use whatever your resource like that is and see if it is helpful. I wish you all the best.

    Answer by elizabr at 7:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Good luck.

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.