My son is 15 and states he wants to be an aerospace engineer. Do someone has an idea about what should I do in order to have him real life experience about what it is like to be an aerospace engineer?

kazucog

Asked by kazucog at 2:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If you check out NASA Space Camp they have a program where the kids get the basics in Aerospace engineering. DS,11, plans on going to camp for the first time this year. We have a good friend who went as a kid and says the experience was amazing. Check it out.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That is awesome you kid sounds like a smart boy if he already knows what he wants to be! I agree with dmbuttler sent it to NASA space camp.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That's what I started out as. I would say if you want to get him jump started, there is a lot of math, but surprisingly Statistics is a class he will not need once he moves on to college, he will need heavy calculus skills. So if he gets to calculus in High School, urge him to take the AP test, that will put him one step ahead other class mates because he will not have to repeat it in College.

NASA does have some programs for college students, I don't know about High School, but you can check their website.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm sure there are lost of TV programs on Aircraft design on either the history or the military channel. Unfortunately, Aerospace facilities have tons of security and he probably can't get a tour.

I used to be an Aerospace Engineer. It's not a fun job or a fun industry to be in. While I was there everyone was constantly worried about being laid off. And the rules were oppressive, I guess because the industry is funded by the tax payers. I'm sure there's lots of jobs right now because we're in 2 wars, but it only takes a president like Clinton to come in and shut all that down.

However there are tons of other Electronic Engineering jobs that can be really fun. I am an RF (Radio Frequency) Engineer for Fox Television Company. I love my job now and there's lots of money in the entertainment industry.

cont...

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• cont...
    Your son have plenty of time to decide what industry he want's to be an engineer in. He's probably going to need to be able to program computers too. Maybe he could take those classes at a junior college while he's still in high school.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010