What would you think?(lengthy)

Recently my child turned 6 and had a b-day party at a public place. To be nice, I invited his entire kindergarden class. We had a few kids show up but this one particular girl came with her dad and I just don't know what to say! First of all, I had never met the girl or her dad. They show up to the birthday party an hour late. They had rsvp'd only 2 days prior and they show up an hour late, walk right over to the table where some of us were and sit down without saying a word....ok so then we try to have a conversation with the girl and every question we ask her she just smiles and looks at her dad to answer for her. Now I understand shyness at that age but from what I understand from another mother who is frequently in the class as a helper, this girl talks non-stop in class. This leads me to think her dad has instructed her not to speak or something. IDK because my parents always MADE me speak to someone who was speaking to me and said if I didn't it was really rude. She also didn't speak to my child or any other children or adults there. Next, her dad didn't talk to anyone other than my mom, and that's because she was basically beating it out of him. He didn't say a word to me when I introduced myself, nor did he even shake my hand, nod, etc. Then when we served pizza(we had tons) he eats one slice which was medium and says"No thanks on cake, I'm stuffed from pizza." I nearly fell over that he could speak! And also the rudeness. You mean to tell me you can't eat even a 2x2 piece of cake? Why did these ppl show up? Oh and the party was at an indoor place that has tall inflatables to bounce and slide and the girl is decked to the nines wearing tights and a dress! IDK and then of course they were the first ppl to leave the party. Show up late, leave early. There was a certain amount of cockiness to the dad too, like he thought he was better than everybody there. He was bragging to my om about his high dollar job and how bright his kids were. Really? Because the one you have with you is speechless. I am hoping that my kid doesn't want to go to her party when it rolls around!!! fingers crossed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Here is just a point of view. The daughter could be really shy but really wanted to go so she could have fun and the father didn't want to go at all and the daughter begged to go. Maybe the wife/mother of child made him take her. I understand why you would feel the way you would because I probably would feel the same way if it was me. But sometimes from an outsiders pov it makes sense. I'm not saying that was why they acted the way they did but it could be.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't know about the dad - but I would be more understanding of the daughter. My son is very shy. He will talk your ear off if he is comfortable with you. It would be JUST like him to be talking non stop at school because he is comfortable in that environment, and then clam up around a similar group of people in a different environment!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my daughter talks in class but is quiet around large groups of adults. maybe she was dressed that way because she refused to wear anything else, i know my 5yr old (who will be 6 in feb.) has days where the only thing she will wear is a dress. as far as the dad, was he the only dad there? i know my hubby probably wouldnt talk much if he was the only guy and as far as refusing cake, maybe he has an allergy and didnt feel like explaining that. i usually cut people more slack because my hubby is the kind though that doesnt talk much, leaves first and wont eat much when out.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I was like that when I was little. New enviporments made me shy. It usually took me a long time to warm upp and talk to anyone, but I would talk at school because I was uused to that envorment.
    akiranth

Answer by akiranth at 11:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010