Im 16, my son is almost a month old. Anyone have any advice for me? Any thing i should know? Or things you know now that you wished you knew when first starting out?

advice for the infants young mother

mychocolatedrop

Asked by mychocolatedrop at 4:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Umm any advice... Dont second guess yourself.. I did that alot with People Telling me THEY KNEW it all because they had older kids. If something Medically doesnt feel right to you then Consult a dr. if a parenting method someone told you was best doesnt feel right DO something that does. ALWAYS REMEMBER he is your son and You are raising him no one else. Keep your head up i know it can be hard being so young. and Never forget someday your little boy is going to be a man so Teach him right.
    pebbles86

Answer by pebbles86 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• It doesn't seem to get any easier. Being a mom in the beginning is just as hard as it is when they're toddlers or school age, just in different ways. Be sure not to compare your son to other babys. Lots of mom's think raising a child is a competition and are in constant battle for the smartest, most beautiful, athletic kid. Let your son simply be your son and love him no matter what :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oh there's so much I wish I knew when I had my son. lol Like the proper way to breastfeed (had trouble because no one showed me how). The benifits of cloth diapers. When to start giving solids (4-5 months) and how to make them (cheaper and healthier than store bought). I wish I knew about slings (life safer really, especially when using public transit!). So much.

If you want you can PM me and we'll talk. It would help if I knew what you already know.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• It DOES get easier. Eventually (around 3-4 months) theyll become much better at entertaining themselves and youll have a little more 'me time'.
    Also always always sleep while the baby sleeps. It helps so much with your attitude on dealing with the new adjustments.
    and take advantage of peoples help everytime its offered. Your baby will still know you're the mommy and theres plenty of time to bond in the future.

take care
    lucahbaby311

Answer by lucahbaby311 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Always trust your instincts. Too many new moms chalk up a lot of thier instinctive feelings to new mom nervousness, but trust your feelings, your a mom its what you do. dont let other people dictate how you raise your child. remember if you feel cold or warm, its liekly your newborn does too, so if your sitting on the couch with a blanket on you might want to throw one on the baby too, things liek that. I think the best way to learn is by doing, its tricky at first but then you devise a specific way to do thing that work for you and your baby, becasue ALL babies are different. good luck, and dont forget to have fun, and enjoy your baby.
    TheCrystalBall

Answer by TheCrystalBall at 5:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2008