Christ's Mass

Many Christians on here wouldn't dream of missing Easter service or Mass. So I'm wondering How many actually attend a Service or Mass on Christmas day? Does your church even have a Christmas day service? If you don't or your church doesn't offer it why not? I guess this more for the Protestants here for midnight Mass in the Catholic church fulfills the Holy Day obligation. I just never understood even when I was Prostestant why in most churches there is not a full service for Christmas.

oldermomof5

Asked by oldermomof5 at 4:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They usually say that it's a day to be with family. If they do have a service, it's on Christmas Eve. I think that's ok to do it on Christmas Eve, it's still celebrting Jesus' birthday.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Since our family travels for the big holidays, Christmas and Easter are about the only Masses we miss. We don't even make Midnight Mass for Christmas because we're usually driving - we do the 3 hour stretch between MIL's and my parents' after the Christmas Eve festivities and arrive around 1 AM. After that we're just too tired to get to a morning Christmas Mass. Easter Sunday, we're usually driving home, since both DH and I work on that following Monday.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Our church is closed on Christmas Day. Ironic?
    We feel the members should be with the families, and worship can continue the following Sunday as scheduled. If Christmas fell on Sunday, we offer a Sat evening service and close the following day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We usually attend Christmas Eve mass, but our church needs to add several more because the services are so full.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• we ALWAYS went to church on Christmas morning...opened presents after

there are closed churches on Christmas? wierd
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Our Methodist church has always had a Christmas Eve service, though we don't always go (we live too far now and don't want to find another church atm, with a 3 year old to worry about).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I"m not a Christian but I used to go to with my mom to the Christmas Eve mass when she was still a Chirstian. To me the holidays were always about family and she would end up going alone otherwise. I don't recall if there was a service on Christmas day or not. I think there might have been one in the afternoon Christmas day but my mom never went.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh and this was a Presbyterian church.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• the church i grew up in never celebrated Christmas b/c it wasnt really Jesus' birthday and all the Pagan stuff tied to it. i now go to a liberal version of the same church and we celebrate Christmas w/ a candle night service on the normal night they meet (its tonight & im psyched!). but Christmas & Christmas Eve were always about family and personal celebration (if you celebrate).

id never heard of the Holy Days of Obligation before coming on CM. im pretty sure since they arent listed in the Bible the churches i was raised in dont have them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The church I go to is having a Christmas Eve service. I have never been to one before. The churches that I went to when I was younger didn't have Christmas Eve services. All the churches I have been to are always closed on Christmas Day. It's a day when we spend time with family and loved ones.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2010