This most likely has been posted before, but what do you think of those *Your Baby Can Read* products? adult content

Thanks for answering! :)

americanadian25

Asked by americanadian25 at 4:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It has been proven in Europe that a child can start learning a new language at the age of two. Have you noticed your child copying you? If you take that and transfer it to the computer or music or anything that repeats, you'll find your child can do it too. Go on YouTube where children are resiting the 23 Psalm of the Bible or saying all 66 books of the Bilbe or singing songs at age two... Yes it can be done using products. But you must have the time, grace, and willingness to let them make 101 mistakes (just like we do. LOL) You also need to check out the product on line to see what results it has produced. You really don't need to buy anything. You can go to your local library or even ask the Mom's at Cafemom for ideas that will save you a lot of money. Hope this helps!
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 5:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I cannot stand them. I think that we should let children be children and not push them to read as babies. We spend so much of our lives working that we have forgotten how to just have fun. IMO kids will learn to read when the are ready. My kids started reading at age 5 and they all love to read and read above grade level. I read to my children from the time they were little and I think that is more important than teaching them to read as babies. I wanted my children to be babies not little adults.

Sorry that product just really gets on my nerves.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have heard child development experts say these type of products are a waste of money. The best thing you can do for your baby, regarding reading, is to read to them often. That is the number one thing to promote reading skills.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The Today Show had a segment on this product a few months back and all the experts agreed that it was bogus. They also interviewed some families that had bought it and they all confirmed that it was a waste of money. When they interviewed the creator they asked him about his credentials and research and he skirted around the issue. He came off looking like a scam artist in the end. So, definitely something I would never waste my money on.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it is a "super mommys" wet dream to have stuff like that. Everyone wants their kids to be Einstein now so they can brag during playdates. Seems a bit ridiculous to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i so wont one! Im not sure how well they work.
    sunflower1986

Answer by sunflower1986 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• IMO, there are more important and appropriate developmental tasks that a baby needs to achieve before they read. How about trust vs mistrust, crawling, walking........?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Stupid.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It is a waste of money. It is just teaching them memorization just like sign language. The first poster is talking about memorization.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Waste of money
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010