How do you make gravy from scratch?

I like brown and my husband likes white sausage gravy. Its getting too expensive to eat out. I want to learn how to make it for breakfast at home without burning down the house! Do you know?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 5:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For brown gravy, take your pan drippings from a roast and put it in a pan with a little cornstarch and water or flour and water. If you use flour you have to stir if very well, or you will have lumps. Add salt & pepper and that's pretty much it.

For sausage gravy, brown your crumbled sausage. Add about 1/4 cup of flour to the sausage and stir until dissolved. Stir in about 2 cups of milk and 1/2 a stick of butter. Let simmer until thickened. Also, gravy will set as it cools, so don't cook it until it's really thick!

hth
    courtneyann29

Answer by courtneyann29 at 6:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• After cooking your sausage, stir some flour into your drippings. You may have to add a little bit of oil to the pan, depending on the sausage you use. Stir the flour around until it is sort of browned. Then add milk and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. You will have to play with your "recipe" to learn how much flour and how much milk it takes to make the gravy the consistency that you like.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Both previous posts are great, I had forgotten about cornstarch, that really does help with lumps. The other thing for brown gravy is to use a whish instead of a spoon.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You can buy sausage gravy mixes and add cooked sausage its by Jimmy Dean and its soooooo yummy!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• White: make a roux - equal amounts of flour & butter - in a sauce pan, with a whisk. Once it's starting to turn golden, slowly whisk in milk. (I think it's 1/4 cup butter & 1/4 flour to 1 cup milk). Once it's all in, keep whisking while letting the mixture come to a boil, and let boil til thickened. Season with salt & pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Stir in cooked sausage, if you like. I don't do brown gravy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Both kinds of gravy can be made really inexpensively from mixes as well. I do make gravy from scratch, but for a lot of people it's the hardest thing to make.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ok, here's the deal. Sausage gravy is wicked easy. Take a tupperware container with a tight fitting lid. Add 1 C of liquid to 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. I like to use 1 C whole milk and 1 C water. Brown the sausage and drain it well. Shake the tupperware container until you are blue in the face. Return the empty pan to the heat without the sausage, and pour in the liquid, stir constantly till it comes to a boil. Once corn starch boils, it's at it's thickest, so go ahead and add the sausage back in and give her a taste. You will want to season with salt and pepper, and if you like it spicy some red pepper or hot sauce.

You can do the same thing with beef broth and cornstarch, adding it to your pan drippings for brown gravy. You may find that this doesn't have as much flavor as the brown gravy you get out...a dash of soy sauce or gravy magic will fix that right up for you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:44 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh-and I wanted to add...the cornstarch gravies are easiest. Roux do make delicious gravy, but you must really show it lots of attention. It may be easiest for you to get the hang of some cornstarch gravy and then move up to play with the big girls.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• what the previous posters say.  bakingdancingsleepninjabunch of roses

brieri

Answer by brieri at 3:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010