How long do you stop pursuing a friend when you haven't heard from them?

I have phone numbers and addresses of people that I haven't heard from. I'm always having to pursue them. When is it time to cut the string and move on?

shrugging

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 5:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• When they make no effort to get into contact with you after yu have tried a few times it's time to let go. Sorry =(
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Sometimes one person has to do all the planning and calling. If you have fun with these people and they seem to have fun with you, then you have to decide if you want to be the one who always does the planning. It wears thin after awhile I know. But I continued with some friends because I got so much out of the times we did get together. Develop other relationships along the way too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• bumpGreat question. I'll bump ya.

mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 6:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think as soon as you realize that you are the only one making the effort, it's time to give up on the relationship and move on. Friendships require two people who are equally interested, so one person can't make it happen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm not one of those people who will persue people. If I've tried contacting you and got little to no response, thats as far as I go. I don't like to waste time on people who don't want to be in my life.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree!! Sometimes we come across "friends for a season, and friends for a reason!" I've certainly have my fair share of the "seasonal" variety!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Also depends on why they don't take the initiative. I have one friend who's been my friend for 40 years. I keep in contact with her a few times a year - or once every few years, just depends - and she responds when I contact her but she doesn't make the first move. But I know that she has a horrible marriage, no job, and is very probably depressed so I continue.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• the time is now.
    If you are the only one keeping the friendship alive, let it go. sadly, they are probably wanting you to stop contacting them by not contacting you first. put the ball in their court and let them have some say so as to whether or not they want to keep a friendship.
    why would you want to keep a friendship with someone who wasn't pulling their half of the relationship?
    move on and make new friends. not every friend is meant to be in your life for a lifetime.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Adopt the rule in baseball: three strikes you're out! After three attempts to contact someone, if he/she doesn't reciprocate, move on. Make new friends.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You don't have to, but you can if you want to. I've got people in my life I haven't spoken to in ages and still consider my friends. It's difficult when you're far away from each other and share no daily life together. People's lifes are busy. You never know what is going on. I'm just glad I hear from them every now and again. Not because I long for their recognition, but because they're my friends and just being there is enaugh. Life's good.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010