How to organize small toddler's room?

My two toddlers share a room together. My youngest sleeps in a playpen and the oldest sleeps on a twin sized bed. That takes up about 30% of the room already. Then they have like 2-3 plastic tote box containers, two wooden small drawer things. One I use to put their tv on. They have no rod in the closet to hang up their clothes. Not sure how to do that( install a clothes rod). And they have a small shelve on top of the closet. I am curious on how I can organize the toys, books, clothes, stuffed animals using as less space as possible.
Thanks,

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 5:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Use their closet...
    you can purchase a closet rod at almost any hardware store... using 1/2 of their closet to hang clothing and the
    other 1/2 to store items...
    place a small book shelf in there with their books or their toy chest...
    you may be able to place several large items (bookshelves/toy chest/ etc...) in the closet if it is large enough...
    my 9 yr old has a muliti colored shelf and a lg toy chest in his and hangs his clothing... the shelf holds items
    that he no longer plays with...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Get them a couple of chest of drawers or small dressers for their clothes, and use their closet for their toys..if you're needing storage for blankets, get a chest an put at the bottom of the bed, or store them under the bed..here's what we're doing for our dd's room, she's in a twin bed and it's a smaller room too....she's getting her big girl room for Xmas..we're getting her her furniture (bed, night stand, dresser and book shelf)..her toys are going to be in her closet in an organizer, I got hers from target and I'm getting her the bins for it in the next few days, as well as her kitchen...so at the end of the night, her toys will be put away and closet closed where her toys will be out of sight..so that's an option, or you could buy a closet unit..like the metal ones, they have them at lowes and I don't think they're very much..that way, you have storage for clothes and extra blankets and so on. Good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Measure from wall to wall in the closet. Have the hardware store cut a piece of pipe and have them show you which brackets it uses. Then if you have a stroller that folds up you can hang it from that too. You can get shelf type things that hang from the rod to put stuffed animals in, or clothes or whatever. They also make shelves that you can store stuff on top of and hang clothes on the underside. Store out of season clothing and blankets under the bed in space bags. Go through toys and donate the ones they never play with.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• And why in the world do they have a t.v. in their room if they're TODDLERS?
    badgirl44654

• closet, bins-labeled, shelves,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I LOVE IKEA for stuff like this... If you dont have one in your town, go to ikea.com. Great organizing containers, stuff...
    Also, I saw in a magazine, that you can use a shoe organizer, the kind that fit on the door, for their smaller toys.. Then they can see whats in each pocket, and its off the floor!
    GL
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Home Depot or Lowes has very inexpensive wire closet organizer systems and kits that ANYONE who can use a screwdriver or drill can install in minutes!

You can hang all of your children's clothes on TWO rods--one upper and one lower--offseason clothes hang up high, and seasonal clothes on the lower rod for easy access, instead of using dressers--keep the hangers that the clothes come on when you buy them. Install floor to ceiling shelves for stuffed animals, books, toys or TV--some versions have long spring tension rods that can be wedged between the floor and ceiling--so no power tools are necessary!

Install a series of colorful stacking Yaffa clocks/bins--attaching to wall with simple brackets to prevent them from falling over for simple storage.

Underbed storage and toy chests are a must!

Look on Craigslist for cheap old "low boy" wood dressers that you can repaint and add new hardware.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2010