Question to those that check their blood sugar.......

My dh was checking his blood sugar the day before yesterday and he was curious about mine so asked if he could check it. It was 85 and that was 45 minutes after dinner. The next morning, at 6 am he checked it agan, it was 90. ( I hadn't eaten or drank anything since 5 pm the day before when he checked it after dinner. ) He thought it was odd.

Just for giggles, he checked it after breakfast and it was 85 again. He seemed to think this was really odd. (I'm not letting him do it again, though, last time)

Now I'm wondering. How odd is this? Is this low? Why would it be 85 after eating then 90 after a fast?

Now I'm wondering. What do those reading mean? Do I have low blood sugar? Is this odd or just a variation of normal? Just curious. :-)

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• It seems a bit odd but really its not. It means that you have really fast acting natural insulin. Now, the thing that concerns me is that your fasting blood sugar (e.g. from overnight after dinner and before breakfast in the morning) is good. It should be below 100. After meals it should be 100-120 and yours isn't. Its possible that you may have hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar. It may not seem like a problem and may not be however it could be if you don't eat regular meals AND snacks. If you haven't eaten for more than a couple of hours, do you get dizzy, upset easily, aggravated easily or tired? If so - you need to eat some carbs. My middle dd is this way - has super fast acting insulin and there are times when she HAS to have something to eat or she gets unusually bitchy. As soon as she has a piece of candy or some type of carbs she's back to normal. Keep an eye on it & maybe talk to your Dr. about it. GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure, but the ADA has lowered the standards for what is normal. I would certainly talk to my doctor, though. You can go to the ADA online and they should have the ranges, but your own physician would know best what is right for you.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have type 2 diabetes and mine runs overall average of 125 through out the month. Your #'s aren't bad at all, but if your concerned ask you Dr to give you a glucose test, it just a blood test to see what your average is . My hubby's runs the same as yours and his test came out fine, so don't get upset, you shouldn't go below 70 and if you run in the 100's through out the month you may have type 2, but it doesn't sound like that to me. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2010