facebook etiqutte

My son's ex girl friend is still a my 'friend' on facebook. He is getting married soon and it feels kinda wierd talking about it knowing she can read it. Should I just delete her as a friend? Or hope it doesn't bother her (break up wasn't the best-getting married less then a year after break up, they went together for 5 years). Should I have dropped her as a friend when they broke up (I like the girl)?

chris219

Asked by chris219 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Personally I would be more concerned about what your new DIL will think. Honestly, that may cause a lot of problems between the two of you if you are still "friends" with your son's ex-girlfriend.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't if you're still real friends with her, not just a facebook friend. If it bothers her that much, she'll "unfriend" you anyway.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think you should leave her as friends if you are still friends in life. My brothers ex wife is my FB friend. She is remarried and we will probably always be friends. I have known her for 18 years. If my brothers. GF has a problem she will just have to deal. My mom is still real close to the ex too. She dog sits and they lunch I don't believe in throeing away important relationships.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree with shanlaree. You should see how you DIL feels about it. Are you friends with your DIL on Facebook?
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 8:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you and she are friends it may be OK. I'd keep what you say to her, though, as something that the new DIL would not find hurtful or suspicious.

Answer by Bmat at 8:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would un-friend the ex since your son is uncomfortable with it. You don't communicate with each other anyway, so she should not be offended. I hate the drama that FB causes, I hardly ever go there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Shes going to find out sooner or later. If any of his friends are friends with her on there they are prob gonna write something anyway. But as PP said just ask DIL. I dont see it being a big deal. You are writing on your page. Not directly to this girl. If youdont keep in touch with her anyway then just delete her.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have not seen the ex since right after the break up. I do not post to her page and she has not posted to me either. I am friends with the dil. I will talk to her. We are pretty good friends, ( I knew her before my son). Facebook does create a bunch of new issues though!
    chris219

Comment by chris219 (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The ex-girlfriend is of the past, and eventually so will facebook. Best to delete now and leave it behind like your son did
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you're friends with her and you like her then keep her as a friend. Talking about the situation with or without her on your friends list isn't right. Confide in a friend, but don't blast it all over your FB page.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010