Can anyone relate?

I have an almost 2 yr old..and I am having trouble putting him in his car seat. He HATES it..he stiffens up, and kicks screams...pulls hair..you name it! I have tried giving him a sippy cup, snack...toy...and nothing is helping. I have to basically hold him down to put the carseat straps on. I feel bad for him, but obviously he has to be in a car seat when we go anywhere. Anyone else having this trouble? When did it get better? What did you do to make it better? Thanks in advance!

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just try to be calm yourself and just put him in all matter-of-fact. Try to ignore the screaming/ behaviors, and once he fully "gets" that you mean business, he'll calm down. I remember my son doing that, and I do not remember when it got better, but my son is 20...lmao.... HOW did THAT happen? But that's my excuse for not remembering better.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I remember my daughter going through that, too, a few years ago (she's almost 4.) It didn't last very long.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't or remember having this problem as my kids and I don't go on many car trips so when we do go, they are too excited to protest. However, I suggest you tell him this behavior isn't acceptable. I know he's only a toddler, but it helps. At least to get used to saying for when he starts to listen. Then remember you are the parent and you are stronger than him and you just have to maneuver him to safety. And yes, it goes get better! Good luck to you!!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I did have this problem is he old enough to get in his seat himself. Maybe if he had some control over what was happening he would not fight as much. I would also try talking calmly to him explaining why he has to be in the car seat.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, he is not old enough to get in by himself. What happens is..I set him in the car seat..and he slides down..on to the floor of the car....then he is trying to get into the drivers seat..this is not easy to be done by him..b/c my car is small. He is a stinker, I tell you!
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Mine used to do that. I didn't last long. Before I would put him into his car seat. I would think of something cool he liked to look at, And I would tell him that while we were out maybe he would get to see.... But he had to get in his seat so we could go try to see it. Like a cool bird or a cool Jeep (he was REALLY into jeeps. LOL) or I would say lets count all the red cars we see on the way to where ever. I'm not sure if it will help. But that is how I did it with mine. Now mine still fights but that is because he just doesn't want to go any where. He is 4. But I just RACE him into out seats. we have to get in Buckle and shut the door. And he always wins :) lol
    Armywife91003

Answer by Armywife91003 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• He's testing you! Keep putting him in his car seat, explain that being in the seat is the rule. It will get better!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• ***warning, answer a bit sensitive***
    my baby brother went through that, but he eventually got over it.
    stick to your guns mama!
    I've worked in several photo labs, and I had to develop many pictures done by police of accidents where kids where thrown from the cars and other horrific things. Most of the time it came down to 'if they'd only been in a car seat or wearing a seat belt they would have been fine.'
    it will pass- hang in there.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh, we dont leave the drive way unless they are buckled in...including myself and my husband. But these days..it takes a little longer b/c he's been fighting us.
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My daughter is a year old and screams and fights us when we try to put her in. Honestly what works for her is a musical toy. We have two. Both sing and light up and that instantly calms her. You could try preparing him first, including him in the buckling process, etc. Just try to make him feel like he has a choice and he is going to be a big boy if he does it. That's the only advice I have.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010