Mommmy Needs SLEEP and HELP!!!

ok so. background info, Emmas 6 months old. shes NOT i repeat NOT on any kinds food or cerial what so ever. we found out early on she was allergic to the soy and the cerial she was on switched to an organic cerial but then got sick and had to stop the cerial. now im trying to re introduce her to the cerial. and trying to introduce foods to her period right now...

Emma is waking up still like 1-3 times a night. i know this is normal since shes ONLY on formula right now...

but mommy needs some sleep : / its very hard when i have to stay up and talk to my husband overseas. then catch a few winks. wakeup when he calls me inthe morning and go about my day!

is there anything i can try with emma to get her to sleep threwout the night? besides the obvisoue of give her food?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 9:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sandra, if she's sleeping five hours she is sleeping through the night, 1-3 wakeups is actually pretty darned good for her age. Dusk to dawn might not happen for a long long time... usually it doesn't. (Never mind what your older kids did. Different baby. Forget all but diapering techniques.)

Food won't make her sleep. Indeed it can make her wake MORE. I'd consider a schedule shift. Go to bed when the kids do. Wake up, take your call, go back to sleep. Or have hubby reschedule the call if possible. Dump that which is not needed to live. Be literal... unless someone will DIE because a thing is undone, leave it undone for now. That can buy you some time... and every minute counts.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Food does not equal sleep. Babies do not automatically start sleeping through the night when they're on solids. My youngest woke up 1-3 times a night til he was 2 years old. Some babies just don't sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Food does not mean she will sleep longer. My 21 month old eats full meals all day long and still wakes a couple times at night. Heck, my 5 y/o still wakes once, usually.

If the problem is staying up to talk to hubby, then find a different time to talk to him. Get to bed as soon as you can and get the rest you need. This will pass... but don't count on solids having any effect, you will just be disappointed. Find a way to work around it... I think you can still co-sleep and leave prepped bottles and bottled water on your nightstand, right? I've heard of people doing that (though, I've never bottlefed before). Just not getting out of bed can help a lot.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ok, a couple of questions - 1) are you a SAHM or a working mom / a student? (I'm NOT judging either way - there is a point to these questions - I promise!) 2) do you have other kids?

The reason I'm asking is because if the problem is you're staying up to talk to your dh, then you're up so much with her, then up for the day, and it all works out to you not getting any sleep, then, as long as you don't have a job that you have to be at, or other kids at home whose schedules will get all jacked up, have you considered working to sort of "readjust" her schedule? So, like she's up until right before time for you to talk to your dh - like you feed her and get her to sleep, talk to him/ get something done around the house, feed her again, then go to bed, then both of you sleep until later into the morning (like, say, getting up at about 10...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• cont

It could take a few weeks to slowly adjust her schedule, but, depending on how long your dh is gone (I'm assuming he's deployed), go with this until about a month / 6 weeks before he comes home, then you can work to move it back so she's going to bed earlier.

I know some people are going to probably get upset that I suggest this, but really, what difference is there in doing this for this reason and doing it because, say, you've moved 1/2 way around the world or went to visit family across country and the baby adjusted to the new time zone....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• im a stay at home mommy with 2 other kids, : / ages 4 almost 5 and 2...
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That is a lot of awake time. Have you tried to introduce her to baby rice yet? There might be something other than cereal she can try that will fill her up, but no nutritional value in it.  My first didn't have any problems with the cereal, but she was a formula baby.  I would give her the cereal with the formula before bed.  My 3 month dd is a breastfed baby, so I haven't had a chance yet to see if she will take cereal yet.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010