Pooping issues. Remedies & diapers?

My son has been having this problem lately with his bowel movements. He'll not poop for 2-3 days then when the last day comes he'll literately poop all over himself! It's so much that it escapes the diaper and creates a big huge mess. He is BF and I've heard that normal with them? But for those 2-3 days he doesn't go you can tell he's in allot of pain and his father and I hate to see him go through that.
Also are they any diapers that will hold up to that much poop? So far I've tried Kirkland's and Huggies and no luck.

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 4:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, this is perfectly normal at this age for an exclusively BF baby! see http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    "It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age... It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• He's 2 months by the way.
    starbucks_mama

Answer by starbucks_mama at 4:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• pampers swaddlers work great try helping him with a rectal thermometer once a day to help relive some pressure or gas drops maybe if he gets gas backed up he can push it out.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• yeah....i had and still have the same problem....i know what you mean about how you can tell it bothers him....my son, who is also exclusively bf, will be 4months on tues and he will go 7 days with out pooping and after day 3 he will be extremely angry..... around 3 months my doc said to try prune juice....but i couldn't get my son to take it and i wont force it on him. a week shy of his 4 month b-day my mom decided to try apple sauce and now he goes either every day or every other with normal size diaper not an explosion!! but anyways good luck..
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• no offense to those who say it's normal, i just don't like how it bothers him.... I wouldn't bother with trying to get him to go if it didn't bother him so.....
    I know where ya are coming from
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• im going through something simular my son is 5 months now and hes had problems since he was born he go a few days at a time then his is hard and huge i have tryed juices and dipositorys juice helped some but gas drops helped with the pain and pampers is the best hold if you mix gas drops in his milk it wil help akit an ounce of juice with water is worth trying the biest thing that helped was putting my son on my lap and patting his butt the pressureon his belly and soothing of patting helps
    mamma0860

Answer by mamma0860 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008