I am trying to conceive. This is our four month trying. I am 36 years old. Am I too old?

I have already given birth to one child but lost him at two days old. I hemorraghed during labor. The baby nor I handled labor and petocin very well. They did an emergency c-section and they revived the baby. He could do nothing on his own. I am scared to death about getting pregnant again, but want to be able to get a child out safe and sound for my husband. He just turned 40.

bigfootteacher

Asked by bigfootteacher at 9:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• If the doctor's say it's okay, then it's okay. 36 isn't too old at all. I think you would have to look into why the labor didn't go well and how high that chance is again. It took my 4 months to get pregnant with my first child and I'm super fertile. It can take up to a year before doctors have concerns. Good luck mama.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• oh honey this is the wrong place to ask that if you are 36 and too old to have a baby. i will answer it. no you are not too old but you are going to get people saying you are. just relax i know people that were trying and trying and then when they went on vacation they got pregnant. so you know what if its meant to be it will be. have you spoken to a dr about you possiiblity of being high risk? good luck. and i am sorry for your loss.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You are not too old by any means. But it does sound as though there might be some health/medical concerns. If the docs say you're a-ok, THEN your issue might be anxiety. While it's perfectly understandable, it can wreak havoc! I've seen it happen often ~ and am in fact from a family where my own mother was "unable to conceive" ... they adopted 2 children, then became pregnant with two more. Life is mysterious... sometimes we need to let go and let the universe take over.
    p.saxton

Answer by p.saxton at 9:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, you are not too old. More and more women are conceiving and giving birth in their 30's as well as 40's. Talk to your Doctor and find out if there are any precautions you should be taking. Sorry for your loss.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I was 37y10m when our only child was born. You are NOT too old.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I am sorry for your loss. I do not think you are too old. Once you are pregnant..maybe opt for a cesection..so you dont have to go through labor again, since it wasnt good the first time around. Good Luck!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I say talk to a doctor, but I personally don't think that 36 is too old, pretty much every woman in my family had babies after the age of 35.
    I'd consult a doctor and made your decision based on that, personally..
    if that not, have you considered foster care? may be a good option for you!
    Good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm so sorry for the loss you experienced. :( What a very traumatic experience to live through. However, you're not too old to try for another baby. If you did not handle pitocin well, I would do everything possible to avoid that route the next time around. Pitocin creates EVIL contractions that are hard on mama and baby. Natural contractions are much more tolerable and VBAC has been shown to be as safe for the baby and SAFER for the mother. I wish you all the love, luck, and healing with your next pregnancy and birth.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 9:44 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think you're "too old". I guess that's for you to decide. However, since you're over 36 they will possibly put you on high-risk automatically - and watch you very closely. That's what they told ME anyway, if I were to have anymore.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No you are not too old. They say it takes the average 25 year old six months to conceive. So keep your chin up and keep trying. Good luck.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010