Is your toddler a bad boy or bad girl?

Do you tell your very young child that they are bad? Or, do you say something else like "You are not acting like a good boy/good girl."?

Does their behavior define them?

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 9:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I never say bad. I just tell her that I am disappointed in her actions or that I didn't like her choices. Kids/toddlers are still learning what is right and wrong and shouldn't be treated like adults; they are still kids.
    greensavvymama

Answer by greensavvymama at 6:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• yes i say that they are being bad. how else will they know what they are doing is bad. we do say other stuff like You're behaviour is unacceptable and other such things. I dont believe that stuff about how "oh if you tell them that are bad they will be bad" it is not true. parents who dont disciplines their children have bad kids. Kids need to know how they are acting, if you never tell them they will never know. how ever you do that is fine. If it is saying "how you acted is wrong" "you are being bad right now and you need to stop" or try to help by emotions.

every body has their own parenting ways and that is just fine! remember we are NOT here to tell parents what they are doing wrong. we are to help each other out. sorry, Im just sick of bashing I cant even read something about a child being sick because other mothers bashing. Not even about pets! Now that is just plain ol stupid.
    sunflower1986

Answer by sunflower1986 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I tell them they are acting ugly.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No I never said they were bad. I would tell them I didn't like what they were doing, though. And I would explain what the right behavior was, etc. I always feel sad when I hear moms call their children bad.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No I do not tell my child they are bad. I explain to them what they did was bad.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I NEVER tell my children they are bad. That puts a very BAD impression of themselves in their mind. If not now then over time.

I make sure my kids knows they are good kids but what they are doing is bad (or wrong). I despise when I hear someone tell a child they are bad.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• no child is bad but i have said to my kids when they where younger
    i do not like who you are today but tomorrow i hope you feel better
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i've never called him bad just would let him know what he did was naughty and not to do it again.... but never called him a bad boy.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, I don't tell my kids that they are bad. I do tell them when they are acting badly and that it needs to stop, but I don't tell them they themselves are bad. They're not, anyway--they're actually really good girls :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you tell them they are bad, then they will be bad... talk to them about why they do things and help them find positive ways of dealing with their emotions... everyone has emotions, having emotions can't be helped, however how you respond and behave can.

Teaching your child how to recognize their feelings and how to deal with them is the greatest gift and they will be able to acomplish great things... also kids copy their parents so if your kids screaming or throwing things... your child is a mirror. They didn't just come to Earth to learn from you, but to teach you.
    DzineMama

Answer by DzineMama at 9:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010