Our 2 year 9 month twins are turning the light on and playing after betime they are coming out of their room and coming into our room in the middle of the night and wanting to play. We put a child locking door handled on their door but one of them can open the door even with it on. We take them back t to their room and tell them they have to stay there but it continues. My husband and are exhusted can anyone give us suggestions?

We put a child locking door handled on their door but one of them can open the door even with it on. We take them back t to their room and tell them they have to stay there but it continues. My husband and are exhusted can anyone give us suggestions? They are napping in the afternoons at home and they nap three days a week at their pre-school is it time to eliminate the naps so they will be more tired at night. However, they are required to nap at pre-school, so how could we eliminate naps? They go to bed at about 7:30 and are up by 6:00 AM even with their late night shenanigans. We have tried putting them to be later but nothing changes and they are still up at 6:00 AM and are not well rested. Is all this normal or am I doing something wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a very tall baby gate at their door
    one that has vertical bars - harder to climb

a timer light that goes off in am, and tell them no out of bed until the light is on - that means get out of bed time= but young for this to work, but can use this AND baby gate. when a bit older and unable to get out of room, maybe by then will abide by the light on rule
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• this is normal i have a 4 year old and a 2 year old that share a room for now. if the tv is plugged in they get up and so before bed i make sure there t.v is unplugged and this helps us a little bit. but htey still get up and play, if i feel they just really are not tired i will let them play for an hr or so. we did away with naps cause htey simple dont want to take them. we do give them an hr a day to sit and recharge and relaxe. but something you might try is putting a baby gate up in front of the door and even using 2 if you need too cover up the whole door..that way they cant get out of the rom at night when your sleeping and get into something that might hurt them...
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My daughter has 2 year old twins and had that problem. She was considering putting a divider in their room to keep them apart but I don't think that would have stopped them. She puts them to bed at 8 o'clock with no light. Stands outside the bedroom door and busts in sounding VERY mean when she hears them get up. It's sort of a game but it works. She has to stand by their door for about 30 minutes "busting" them and then they settle down and go to sleep. I would not eliminate their naps. Children NEED rest for their busy and growing bodies. I do not agree with using television as a distraction, just for the record.
    LivinWell11

Answer by LivinWell11 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Bed time is bedtime.You are the parent,no gates,no timers,nothing but parenting will do.I always read to mine yeah 2 or three times a nite(the same story) this got them to concentrate and listen..if the book was good.Favorite book?The Answer book .Covered every why,where,how comes and all .Change bedtime to quit reading time ,let pick their books,and read to them.Worked for me good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010