• In the Spotlight:

Fibbing.....

My just turned 4 year old granddaughter (she lives with me), had a cupcake for snack a few minutes ago. She ate the icing off and asked for another. I told her that she could not have another she should eat the one she has.
I heard the trash cover close. She came with her empty plate and said she wanted another cupcake. I asked her if she threw her other one away. She shook her head no. I said I was going to put the cupcake paper in the trash. She told me no. There was her cupcake.
I told her that she could not have another cupcake and that fibbing and not telling me the truth was very bad. Should I have taken further action to instill the seriousness of lying?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 10:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your response was perfect. She learned more from not getting another cupcake than from a long lecture.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Teach her. This is a great learning time. She wanted another cupcake. Her young mind tried to oblige your rules by getting rid of the first one. Teach her what was wrong about her action don't just think about punishing her.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, I think what you did was perfect.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not at that age. You did just right.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree, just explain that not telling the truth isn't the right thing to do and move on.
    greensavvymama

Answer by greensavvymama at 6:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010