Question about a septic system

Ok so we have a septic system and we bought our house new alittle over a year ago so the system is less than 2 years old. I use septic safe toliet paper and flush ridex every month. Recently, if there is a lot of water being used in the house (like if someone took a bath or the washing machine and dishwasher are both on at once), water bubbles up out of the ground a ways away from the septic system. Nothing is backing up into the house and nothing smells bad but water is coming up out of the ground. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Thanks!

Braydens_Mama06

Asked by Braydens_Mama06 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You probably have a cracked pipe or a connection is not properly hooked.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• What kind of system is it? Drainfield? Does it goe into a city sewer system? I (unfortunately) know too much about septics, but knowing what kind it is would really help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm pretty sure its a drainfield but I'm not totally sure.
    Braydens_Mama06

Comment by Braydens_Mama06 (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ok. If it is a drainfield, my next question is: Did you have a lot of rain this summer, etc, that the ground was already plenty wet before? If you did, it could just be so saturated that when your septic drains out, it's pushing the water already in the ground up, becasue it's just so wet - it's fine, pretty normal. If you didn't, and the ground was super dry (topsoil wetness is not indicative of how wet it is lower down), then you may have a slight issue...but if it's not near any other houses or anything just keep your own kid(s) away from the area. (I've been studying up on drainfields as next summer we may be moving into a house with a brand new one :S, so if you ahve any other questions ask away, I'll do my best to answer!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Generally septic tanks don't feed into a city system. Otherwise there would be no need for the tank. You most likely have a drainfield system. There are usually 4-6 pipes feeding out of your tank. These pipes have holes along the length of the pipe. This allows the drainage to seep into the ground. This is why the grass is usually greener over the drainfield area. What I would be concerned with is how deep the contractor buried these pipes. That can have everything to do with the water you see bubbling up to the surface. Have you had a lot of rain recently? This too can cause water to bubble to the top since the ground may be saturated with rain & can't handle more water/drainage. My advice would be to contact the contractor and ask for the installation specs of the system. Once you have those, check with your city hall to see what the required depth should be. Will con't...
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If the contractor didn't install the system according to city req'd specs, you can hold him responsible for correcting the issues. I had my own contracting company for 20 years. So, I have had a bit of experience with this sort of stuff. Hope this helps.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It has rained some recently and its also been cold so nothing has dried out, not even the top soil. When should I call someone to come and look at it? How do i know when there is a problem? If I had a clog would it be backing up into the house? I've never had a septic system before so I don't know much about them and the articles I found online only talk about back-ups not water bubbling up when a lot of water is leaving the house at once. Its kinda freaking me out not knowing where the water is coming from but b/c its so close to Christmas, our bank account is not what it once was. I just don't want to let something go that should be looked at but at the same time, I don't want to pay someone to come out just to tell me everything is fine you know?
    Braydens_Mama06

Comment by Braydens_Mama06 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• could be roots in the drain field from tress. Bleach products with counteract and ridex treatment. It may have been the people befor you and you might need it pumped.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Quit using Rid-X!! It can actually be harmful to your system as it eats the established bacteria that were already in the septic system.
    You also should not use bleach when you have a septic system as the bleach kills the good bacteria in the tank.

Your drain field may not have been properly installed. And be careful with how long you wait to have it looked at because the health department can be called in the case of a septic tank and can impose fines for an improperly maintained septic system.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010