what to do for a baby who doesnt like cerial?

Emma's 6 months old. shes been on cerial before but we had to take her off and switch cerial b/c she was allergic to the other cerial now shes on a organic cerial but wont eat it..i keep offering it to her but she refusses it...
what to do ?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 10:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes its ok to bypass infant cereal. it's not required in their diet, its simply just one of those things that are easily tolerated on their digestive systems at young ages when all they're used to is formula/breastmilk and start learning to eat off of a spoon. at 6 months, you can try putting one single cheerio (original flavor) in front of her and see what she does with it. if she likes it, give her more but monitor her. cheerios turn to mush in the mouth and that way, she's still getting cereal. i like the oatmeal suggestion too. my 11 month old loves sharing my oatmeal with me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Don't worry about it. She doesn't need cereal. Keep feeding her breast milk or formula (whichever you feed her normally) and maybe try some veggies then fruits.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• so its ok to totally by pass the cerial and go straight to "foods" ? i have never had this issue before with my other two kids....
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My kids hated the baby cereals. They are pretty gross. I just always started with sweet potato and went from their. After a few new foods I would make them real oatmeal - the kind that you cook, not instant. some for mommy and some for baby and they loved that, still do.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We've never purchased it and it's never passed either of my kids lips before. Cereal is nutritionally useless, baby junkfood, IMO.

Try some fork mashed banana, avocado or baked sweet potato. Yummy!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You could try mixing it with juice instead of water, maybe she doesn't like the taste.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my kids hated cereal, they went straight to stage one baby food. but that was like at 5 months. at 6 months she should or could be eating like stage 2 baby food. it is still running at that stage she could basically just drink it almost.
    sunflower1986

Answer by sunflower1986 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Have you tried baby rice?
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son didnt like it either. I bought Earths Best Organic Oatmeal with Bananas and he loves it. that way he is still getting the Iron.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Cereal is completely unneeded. We started with banana... no jars.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010