Do you think they would do anything?

My MIL had a scare yesterday and she was asking me if she should have reported the incident to the police.

Background: She was driving somewhere and she saw a little mini-dachshund running alongside the road. She wasn't on the highway, but it was close and she was worried the dog would head that way and get hit by a car, so she pulled over and tried to coax it to her, but the dog just kept running away from her. Finally she saw a truck pull over and the dog slowed down, so she figured he must have been the owner and she got back in her car and drove off. Then she notices the truck following her, right on her bumper. She slows down, he slows down. She speeds up, he speeds up, etc etc. She pulled over to the left lane to let him pass, but he still followed. Finally she stopped and rolled down her window and asked him what his problem was. He screamed at her for dumping the dog and leaving it to die. She tried to explain to him what had happened, but he wouldn't listen to her and kept screaming at her. Finally she got so pissed off that she screamed at him and he ended up driving off.

She is really freaked out about it and she was asking me if she should have filed a police report. She's kicking herself too because she has OnStar and all she had to do was push the button, but she was so freaked out she didn't think about it. I told her she could always try, but I don't know if the police would do anything or not. She didn't get the license plate number, but she remembers the truck and what the guy looks like (you'd be surprised at the memory my MIL has--if she'd gotten a look at the license plate, she'd definitely remember it). Would the police do anything based on that info alone? I'm just not sure, considering that it was basically just a screaming match, unless they might view it as road rage? What do you think?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• She did,Whimsee. Sounds like the guy was freaking nuts!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I doubt it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I really don't think the police would do anything.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That's kind of what I think too.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• She did, she tried over and over to explain to him, but he wouldn't listen. She finally lost her cool with him and screamed at him and he drove off. What more could she do after that, chase him down instead?

Seriously don't bash the woman, she did nothing wrong.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You wrote "she got so pissed off that she screamed at him and he ended up driving off." If you weren't present, how do you know how much she tried to explain before she started screaming? If he didn't threaten her, I think there is no reason to call the cops. The sight probably triggered a bad experience in his past and she was unfortunately the innocent bystander in the wrong place.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I wrote what she told me. Would it not piss you off it someone screamed at you as you were trying to explain what happened, but wouldn't stop long enough to listen to you? I know I sure as hell would.

She was asking if she should have called them because he had been tailgating (following) her and she personally did feel threatened by him.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• MIL should have tried HARDER to get the other driver to understand she was trying to catch the dog. I personally know someone who drove out to the country and dumped her dog. That person is DEAD to me. So I can understand driver's anger. I can't understand why your mother-in-law failed to explain her role in the drama.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2010