Tough love to teach them respect. Do you think this is cruel?

I am tired of yelling.

They have too many things, so from now on when they are disrespectful, they will have to give me one item from there room...

We will then donate it or recycle it.....

Maybe then they will learn.... I am going through my stuff tonight, I don't have much but realized today I have about 15 items I can get rid of in my closet, I said I have nothing to wear, so bye bye clothes in my closet, I obviously don't wear them.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not sure if it will teach respect because that has to be taught from the beginning but it will teach them to not mess with you and it will teach them to give to others less fortunate than they are. Respect is a 2 way street, it has to be recieved to be given. Children deserve respect too. It is good that you are getting rid of things you don't need too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would take something away that they enjoy,but in turn they have to earn it back by doing good deeds for at least two weeks to a month.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think you should rush to good will and give it that day. You should try to let them earn it back and then after they do ask them if there is a toy that they don't play with that they would like to give to someone that will play with it.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• how old are they?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• 7/8/11/14.

They have too much, they don't want to part with anything and honestly, I teach them respect, anyone else would love my kids, and love to have them around.

They treat me this way because I let it happen and I am just trying to get things together, yes I do go to therapy...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• What about letting them earn their things back. If they have too many things let them go through them and decide what they want to keep and get rid if. They don't get as mad when they get to help decide.Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2010