Boys and Girls toys

My husband and I never really cared if our son wants to play dolls or wears our nieces bracelets as copying her .. he's only 3 - he has a Pink Dora potty seat HE picked out but he also loves trucks and destruction like a "normal" boy but the people I work with, mostly guys, seem to think I am wrong for letting him play with whatever he wants... I talked today about buying this cash register because he loves to pretend play store but I can only find it in pink but that's ok and a couple guys at work said NO WAY... seriously?? Am I wrong here to let my son just be a kid and play with what he wants, regardless of the color.. I can't believe some people still feel this way.. what do you moms think?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Good for you! You're allowing him to be well-rounded. My son loves playing with his twin sister's "girl" toys probably more than she does. I've seen him feeding a baby a bottle with one hand and working with tools with the other hand...just like Daddy. Last Christmas my daughter got a baby doll stroller, and I ended up going out the next week to buy another one for my son because they both loved it so much. I'm guilty too though, because I usually buy "girl" toys for my daughter even when I know it will be my son who really enjoys them the most.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No I think kids just want to play they do not care about color or girls or boys toys they just want to play.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i think boys should be allowed to play with dolls and girls should be allowed to play with trucks. kids are kids and a toy is a toy. i have all girls and if we're picking out a toy and they pick out a truck or a GI joe then thats what they will have. does this mean they will be lesbians when they're older, or boys will be gay when they're older cause they play with dora? NO. if they happen to be homosexual when they're older, it's something they were born with NOT because of the toys they played with or what color shirts they wore. for crying out loud! my husband's friend would pick on his 4 year old son because he liked playing kitchen with our daughter. really!?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think you are doing the right thing letting your son play with things he likes, regardless of the color. I think too many people worry about "gender" toys. I believe boys learn to be more caring when they are allowed to play with a doll. I say keep doing what you are doing!!!
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Kids don't care. It's only an issue when adults make it one.

My daughter loves her babies, but also likes to play with her brother's train. My son has dubbed pink the "sister color" (no clue why, we don't have a lot of pink...). My son likes to dress up in a tutu and crown, but he also loves his trains. It's not a big deal. They like what they like.

Kids should be allowed to play with what they want to play with. While I don't think it's wrong to let a boy play with a doll, I also don't think a doll should be forced on a boy just to discourage gender discrimination. Let them choose, like you're doing. And since it's not your coworkers' kid, they have no say anyway. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• kids don't care and giving into the gender toy issue just reinforces that girls should be the ones that have babies and clean, and cook and stuff like that while the boys get to go out and drive cool trucks and stuff. My H dosen't care what my girl plays with, but if I had a son I think it would be a diffrent story.
    akiranth

Answer by akiranth at 11:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with what you're doing. I let my kids do the same. My daughter plays with all of her little brothers toys and little brother plays with all of her toys. They are young just becasue a 3 yr old plays with a doll doesn't mean he will make him gay or turn him into a wimp like some believe. Some parents need to chill out and let their kids enjoy being a child and let them play with what ever they want.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My kids had a kitchen set which my dad had a fit over. But, it was ok for them to play with G. I. Joe which is a doll except they say it is an 'action figure'. It is a doll in fatigues.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• the only thing i will absolutly not let my son play with is my daughters princess shoes, they are annoying for one and for the second it just isnt right, as far s doll go, play with them i feel that if i shelter him from those things he would want to play with them when he got older(much older)
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 11:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My girlfriend had a 3 yr old who literally spent an entire summer vacation in his older sisters lime green sparkled Tinker Bell halloween costume. We had to peel it off of him when he took a nap just to run it through the wash. This kid wore this thing every day. He is now grown and does all the "man" stuff he is "supposed" to. No worries, nothing wrong with self expression.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2010