My kids no how to respect, unfortunately they don't respect me when we are at home?

I taught them well, but am tired of them not listening to me, not doing what they suppose too do for me and them (homework and chores).

I know I spoiled them but finally I am trying to make a diffrence, and teach them you can't always get what you want. They have to treat me as they treat others, and mommy is not going to be so nice anymore.

As for freecycling there stuff, I figure maybe they would appreciate all they have more, and learn that listening and respecting mommy's wishes only then do you earn stuff.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's great advice from Elizacr. I would also add that when you are going thru stuff to get rid of/donate that you let them keep a set amount, for example you can keep as many toys as will fit in this plastic and the rest we are going to give to someone who needs it more than we do. That way they still have some control and choices to make as well. I also read a great tip the other day to write down a bunch of chores and put them in a hat. Then you set a timer for 15-30 mintues or whatever and everyone draws a chore, completes it and comes back to draw another one until the time is up. Whoever has the most completed chores wins a prize- like control of the remote or something along these lines. If you try to make it fun and something you all do together it can build teamwork and respect amongst the whole family.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Have a family meeting and tell them what is on your mind. Have the points you want to make written down so you don't forget any. Have them parrot back to you what the issues are . Tell them straight out that things have gotten out of hand and you want changes in the house. Make a set of house rules and post them. You can have the kids help you with this. Make sure respect and being kind to others is up there. And you can have another list posted for chores. Tell them there will be consequences for not following the rules and doing chores. I would give them a one time warning that the consequence will be used. Then zero in on what is the most important thing to them and take that away as the consequence. Make sure your SO is on board with all of this and you act as a team. Hold your ground & be consistent. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i got thru same thing usually naps help or time out but usually i just start taking things from them that i know are very important to them and that seems to help
    Samesame

Answer by Samesame at 11:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010