How can I get my husband to see that he is hurting his son by allowing him to be disrespectful and a hermit in his room with violent video games, uncontrolled time limits?

janiceDailey

Asked by janiceDailey at 11:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm not sure you can. It's hard when someone is set in their ways, and sometimes the results are often not seen until it is too late. I would talk with him and set up rules that you both can agree on, and stick to them. Hermit part - I was a hermit when I was a kid, big time. I never came out of my room. The disrespectful part would be the part I would not budge on one bit. Kids need to learn respect. It's a good foundation for life.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• YOu can't control what he does. You can only control what you do about the situation. It is harder when your SO isn't helping to back you up. You stand your ground, and do what is best for your child, regardless of what he does, or in this case doesn't do.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well how old is your boy? You posted this in 18+ is your son older?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If the son is over 18, there isn't much you can do unless you are willing to take a hard line and either kick him out or require him to work and pay rent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Is he over 18? if so,, there is really nothing. You said "his son" are you the step mom? If so, let his parents handle it, it's really not your place anyway
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• he does come out of his room at some time ,next time he come out say some thing nice
    hey you look good today or good morning if some thing nice he will talk oh it won't happen over night but in time with 5 boys
    they do come out for food ,pee ,drink oh just to see who is home and they do grow out of being rude
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Hmm, first try to find out if something is bothering his son. Fathers normally do not think there is anything wrong with it & do not see the warning signs. Maybe his mom can help, if your not it. I would need more info to help better
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• hi...i think you really need to talk to your hubby heart to heart so that everything will be ironed out...it's really hard to dicipline now..
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 4:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• IF HIS SON IS USE TO DOING THINGS A CERTAIN WAY ITS GOING TO BE HARD TO CHANGE. (ITS LIKE TEACHING AN OPLD DOG NEW TRICKS)

19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• talk to your hubby and explain it to him...but to tell the truth once they are over 18 well there is not much you can do except....and I hate to answer this way....threaten to leave and move into your own studio apartment or something...if your DH cares and loves you then he will listen or you will at least be able to feel better knowing you did all you could...
    Anonymous