MIL Question??? She only comes around on holidays!

My MIL loves my boys but she only comes around on birthdays or holidays. I don't want my kids thinking every time they see her they are going to get a toy or new clothes. Every time I need a sitter I do call her first but I rarely need a sitter. How do I get her more involved in their life's other then birthdays and holidays?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ask her to watch them even when you don't need a sitter, then go read a book or get something done around the house that's been bugging you. Or tell her the boys have been dying to see her, would she like to visit? Get the boys to call her more often maybe, have little chats on the phone, get her more engaged, maybe they would ask her themselves to see her.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think if you invite her over thats about all you can do is try. I am about to be a nana for the first time but I am also bringing a production company from the ground up. all you can do is lay out the invite and see what happens.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Invite her for dinners on the weekends.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• be honest with her and tell her you want the boys to spend more time with her "without" gifts. It will increase the time but dont think the gifts will end. my kids still know they get too many goodies at grandmas, like twinkies....lol. Also just invite her over for dinner or lunch or something just because. casual is good.
    javamama603

Answer by javamama603 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• the ball is in her court. if you've already tried inviting her over for just visiting, or dinner, and she wont' come then thats her loss and her problem.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think you should call her to watch your children even if you are just going out to run a few errands and maybe use the time alone to go sit in the library, bookstore, coffee shop and relax and have some me time. If you do this not only will your children benefit from time with their grandma but you will benefit from getting some time alone. You could also ask her to dinner every so often. I agree that you should also tell her that your children miss her and would like to see her.
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ask her to take the kids to the park while your grocery shop. Even though you don't need a sitter she will get to spend time with them and you will probably get out of the store faster. :)
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Invite her over for dinner on Sunday, or no reason at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2010