Am I the only mom that feels like a tape recorder??? quick review of what I am going through.

I am trying to get my house organized the kids don't want to help, so I shut the tv down and send them to their room....

I am tired of after 3 weeeks telling them to go through their clothes, trying to go through their clothes with them-while they cry and whine that they don't want to get rid of anything.... I spoiled them I know this, but I am going to get our stuff together, our house happier and more organized.

I consider it tough love, they will learn they have to respect mommy also, as they do everyone else. Ther e is an old saying you snooze you lose.... my kids are 7/8/11/14 and they should be more helpful, not whine all the time over chores, and basically daily duties they should do...

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• You tell 'em, Mama!!! My DD is only two but many times I give her the choice "you can do what Mommy asked of you or you can go in time out" and she rarely chooses time out. Stick to your guns, if they have time to watch tv they have time to help you out, and if they aren't willing to pitch in then maybe they need some time to think about that in their rooms. You're not their maid after all!! Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i feel like im on the verge of either a stress induced heart attack or stroke today. my 2 and 4 year old are at eachother's throats, they're both under the weather and you would think instead of fighting with eachother with what little energy they have they would want to rest or something? ha, right. so far we've had a rough, terrible morning. the 2 of them fighting and screaming at eachother over toys is enough to send anyone into the nut house. im just holding onto the dream that naptime is coming up and maybe everyone will be in better moods after.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes I know what you mean I have a 17 year old I have to still tell him to turn off ights when he leaves and close the gate. But stick to your guns.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Part of parenthood to feel like a recorder. You do have be on top of the kids everyday.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree, they shouldn't be whining and complaining every time they have a chore or job to do. I tend to have a similar problem at my house sometimes and I have to use the tough love way of dealing with it. Way to go!!!!!
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• So...you spent ALL these years not expecting them to do certain things, "spoiling them" and allowing them to not respect you and now you blame THEM and expect THEM to snap to and do what they are told? It's not their fault, you are the one who set the tone. It's going to take TIME to get them to where you want them to be. Parents are supposed to start molding their children from the time they can follow simple directions (around a 18 mos. old) and to continue to guide them. You can't let them do whatever for years and then POOF! want changes. It's like the parent who lets their toddler swear and then when their child hits 5-6 years ol and is still swearing they start getting punished for it. It's not THEIR fault...their parents allowed it. The same applies for you and your children. You allowed the behavior so...fault yourself and not your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• so the tape recorder thing dosen't ever end. My daughter is only two and I was hopeing she would grow out of it.
    akiranth

Answer by akiranth at 11:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• LOL< I never blamed them

I blame my self,
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You are too funny..... So bitter, I am the one who made the mistakes, my kids are good kids but like any other kid.

They know who to play an unfortunatly it is not daddy it is mommmy.... Anonymous.... Have a drink and Happy Holiday....

I am not blaming my kids, again so everyone knows, IT IS MY FAULT!!!!! NO SHAME IN MY GAME......
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Keep at it... it will get better.

And giving them choices is really good.... one option you WANT them to do and one that isn't so fun for them at all, but you can live with. That was the advice my mom gave me, best advice ever!
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 11:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2010