Miracle or just pure luck? MUST SEE STORY

A picture of Christ survives a fire that gutted entire building

'A Christmas Miracle': Painting of Christ survives Provo Tabernacle fire'

PROVO, Utah —
As the four-alarm fire raged at the Provo Tabernacle, firefighters and those watching helplessly from the sidewalk observed something truly remarkable. Some are even calling it "a Christmas miracle."

A painting of Jesus Christ burned in the fire, save for the image of the son of God, which was left unscathed.
There are fascinating things in this world," said Lynn Schofield, the Provo Fire Marshal.

Fox 13 cameras captured the painting inside the burning tabernacle on Friday night. The image, Harry Anderson's "Second Coming" is scorched, except for Christ's image, which is untouched and surrounded by charred blackness. Utah congressman Jason Chaffetz also took a photograph of it while touring the rubble on Saturday morning.

"Not only did it not burn the image of Christ, but the silhouette, the outline, I've got to tell you it really touched me in a way. It really did," Chaffetz told Fox 13. "Here's this painting and part of it survived. I was absolutely amazed."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns the Provo Tabernacle, now has possession of the print. An LDS Church spokesman declined to say what they plan to do with it.

"It's a Christmas miracle," said Aisling Wilson, who walked by the Tabernacle on Monday morning.

"I think it's His way of saying that, 'I'm in the little things and in the big things and this is OK,' " added her husband, Bryan.

Crews began clearing some of the debris from the burned-out tabernacle on Monday, trying to make it stable enough for investigators to begin looking into a cause of the four-alarm fire.

"We're looking for wires, we're looking for lights, we're looking for lots of stuff," said Schofield. "This is going to be something that takes a fair amount of time."

The blaze wiped out the historic building in downtown Provo, burning for two days beginning early Friday morning. Investigators told Fox 13 they plan to question more than 250 people who were at the tabernacle the night before as part of a Christmas concert. An LDS Church spokesman said it is too early to know if the building could be saved.

"That decision will be made with the findings of the structural engineers, what they'll have to do to bring the building up to code and the costs involved with that," Schofield said. "I anticipate that's a couple of months down the road."

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-provo-tabernacle-christmas-miracle,0,3872922.story

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Loved this story! No matter what He remains!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• What a miracle to prove that HE is always with us!!!!
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I can see why the church congregation is excited but really there isn't anything miraculous about it. Depending on where the painting was hung, how it fell as the rest of the church burned, and the chemical composition of the material it was painted on as well as the specific pigments of the paint, and the time the firefighters arrived there is an explanation for it. I'm sure more articles survived other than just the painting so the story is being sensationalized a bit and aimed at the "miracle" of one section of the painting surviving.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• that's awesome :)

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It should NOT have survived the fire according to what I just read. I would say there had to be a guardian angel protecting it. The message would be that all is not lost. HE is still with you. Yes, I would say a Miracle.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it's definitely more than a coincidence that the one thing that survived this fire was an image of Christ, especially when the rest of the painting was burnt! IMHO, this was a message from God. Hope is alive in Him!
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm impressed. Not sure what to call it myself, but I can see why everybody is so excited by it surviving.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Whether it is due to the position of the painting or not that is still pretty neat.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Pure Luck
    MamaDawn0223

Answer by MamaDawn0223 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The painting was burned from all sides. It would have to be engulfed in flames - and for that part to go untouched .... Not even have burn marks ... I'd call that a miracle. I do think that those who choose not to believe in God will try and write it off as luck. They wouldn't believe Jesus exists if He was looking them squarely in the eyes.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010