What is going on with my breastfeeding? adult content

I am having issues with my milk flow. My milk will be a stream line for a long time. I get it all over my dd face. Should I pump then feed. I am not sure why it comes out as fast as it does? Most of the time it is pleasant. I have a hand pump but I am not sure what to do? If I freeze a little at a time, is it safe for when I need it?

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 11:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your letting down and yes you can freeze your milk just run it under warm water if you want to use it should join Breastfeeding group great group and kellymom.com good source of info

Gen

Answer by Gen at 11:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• lol i had this same issue. it was weird to just watch the milk coming from your nipple like that. i would just pump out a little before you feed baby and you can always stick it in the fridge until you're done breastfeeding and see if baby wants it after. but don't force her if she doesn't want it. i don't think it'll be enough worth freezing but you can if yuo've collected enough :-) good luck momma
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Google "overactive letdown". If that's what it seems like you have, I've heard block feeding can help, where you nurse just on one side for 3 hours, then the other side for 3 hours, regardless of how often or how long baby nurses during that 3 hours. It kind-of trains your body. Different positions can help, too, if your baby is gagging or otherwise handling it badly.

If it's just occasional, it's nothing to worry about. You can store it if you want to, if you think you'll need it, or you can just have a burp rag handy to catch the extra milk. It's fine to freeze it in small increments. It will be safe in a refrigerator-freezer (not on the door) for 6 months, I think.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I had over active letdown. And I went through that too. Is she getting gassy? i know one issue we had was that it was coming so fast she had a hard time drinking it which caused huge gas problems. Try block feeding (google that, I could tell you what I did but it was a while ago so I dont want to give you the wrong advice). After I did this for about 2 weeks my supply evened out and she was able to eat with no problems. Try not to pump before you nurse, it will worsen the problem of an over active letdown by increasing your supply even more.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It's just your letdown. No need to pump. You SHOULD change positions. On kellymom.com you will find a GREAT article on fast letdown including photos. We moms with fast letdown can't do traditional holds... baby has to be put OVER our breasts.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010